Za’atar Salmon Bowl
with cauliflower rice / tomatoes / red onions / broccolini
Every time we feature za'atar, we get requests for more recipes featuring this unique spice blend. It's a great addition to salmon in this easy, flavorful, one-bowl meal.
Za’atar Salmon Bowl:
- Broccolini - 1 bunch , chopped
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2 , chopped
- Olives, pitted Kalamata - 1/2 cup , sliced
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup , halved
- Salmon - 1 1/2 lbs , cubed (preferably skinless fillets)
- Za'atar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cooked cauliflower rice (ingredients listed separately) - ~2 cups
- Cauliflower florets - 12 oz
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
Lemon Cilantro Dressing:
- Cilantro - 1/2 Tbsp , chopped
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Cauliflower rice - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccolini / Onions / Olives - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Chop cilantro and garlic. Combine cilantro, garlic, honey, and lemon juice. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Slice tomatoes in half. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Salmon - If you bought skinless salmon fillets, slice into cubes and toss with za’atar. If the fillets are skin-on, just season the flesh with za’atar. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a skillet (if using whole salmon filets with skin, use a nonstick pan) with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add broccolini and saute until nearly tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onions and continue to saute until tender, 2 to 3 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper. Set aside and return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add second part of cooking oil. Add salmon. If using cubes, saute; if using whole fillets, cook on both sides. Cook until salmon is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork, ~5 minutes total.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half if doubled for Thursday).
- If you cooked whole salmon fillets, use a fork to shred the salmon (discard skin) before adding it to the bowls.
- Set out cauliflower rice, broccolini / onions, olives, tomatoes, salmon, and dressing and customize bowls at the table. Enjoy!