Za’atar Salmon Quinoa Bowl
with chickpeas / tomatoes / red onions / broccolini
- Broccolini - 1 bunch, chopped
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2, chopped
- Olives, pitted Kalamata - 1/2 cup, sliced
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Salmon - 1 lb, cubed (preferably skinless fillets)
- Za'atar - 1 Tbsp
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cooked quinoa (ingredients listed separately) - 2 1/4 cups
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Cilantro - 1/2 Tbsp, chopped
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1/3 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Quinoa - (If making Thursday’s meal, cook quinoa for that night at the same time.) Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccolini / Onions / Olives - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Chop cilantro and garlic. Combine cilantro, garlic, honey, lemon juice, and sour cream. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Slice tomatoes in half. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Salmon - If you bought skinless salmon fillets, slice into cubes and toss with za’atar. If the fillets are skin-on, just season the flesh with za’atar. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans - drain and rinse.
- Heat a skillet (if using whole salmon filets with skin, use a nonstick pan) with first part of oil over medium-high heat. Add broccolini and saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. Set aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil and then beans and onions. Saute until onions are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. Set aside and return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add third part of oil. Add salmon. If using cubes, saute; if using whole filets, cook on both sides. Cook until salmon is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork, ~5 minutes total.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve portion for Thursday if it was cooked at the same time).
- If you cooked whole salmon fillets, use a fork to shred the salmon (discard skin) before adding it to the bowls.
- Set out quinoa, broccolini, beans / onions, olives, tomatoes, salmon, and sauce and customize bowls at the table. Enjoy!
Love the flavour!0 Helpful
So tasty! I always sub Greek Yogurt for sour cream. Delicious!!0 Helpful
Delicious. Great balance of textures and flavors0 Helpful
A healthy favorite in our house which we have on repeat. Love the varied textures. I used pearl barley instead of quinoa. Classic Cooksmarts in that it's also fun! Everyone enjoys prepping their own bowl at the table from the colorful array of ingredients.0 Helpful
Super delicious! I doubled the sauce and subbed broccoli (couldn’t find broccolini). I seasoned the broccoli, onions, and garbanzo beans with a bit of olive oil, salt, and za’atar and roasted them for about 20 minutes at 450. I also added salt, garlic and lemon juice to the salmon and broiled it. It was sooooo good!!0 Helpful
I liked it, but all the flavors kind of blended together to me rather than feeling distinct. But once I finished all the prep, cooking was so quick and easy, which is always a huge plus in my book!0 Helpful