Jerk Portobello Mushrooms
with coconut rice and beans / tomato cucumber salsa
This meal is quickly becoming a Cook Smarts classic. The comforting, fresh, and spicy flavors make this a combination that we are always excited to bring back. It was last featured in 2018.
- Jalapenos - 1, sliced; seeded if you want less heat
- Mushrooms, portobellos - 8
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Foil - for roasting
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Beans, kidney (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Bay leaves - 1
- Rice, long-grain, uncooked - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Onions, medium red - 1/4, diced
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 1/2 cups, halved
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, diced
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Garlic / Ginger / Jalapenos / Onions - Prep as directed. Combine garlic and ginger. Store jalapenos and onions in their own containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate portobellos - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating while mushrooms marinate.) Remove stems from mushrooms. Mix together jalapenos, Jerk seasoning, brown sugar, cinnamon, soy sauce, vinegar, and cooking oil. Spread portobellos out in a baking dish. Add marinade and toss to combine. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cucumbers / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Cover portobellos tightly with foil. Transfer portobellos to oven and roast, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue roasting until tender, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- While portobellos roast, heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Pour in coconut milk, garlic, ginger, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and then add rice, stock, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until rice has absorbed all of the liquid.
- Toss tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and cilantro with vinegar and olive oil.
- Remove and discard bay leaves from rice. Fold in beans.
- Serve portobellos over rice (pour cooking liquid over top) with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy salsa over top!
The portobello mushrooms didn't taste right but I loved the coconut beans and rice (with some added spices of course). I will definitely make the rice and beans again.0 Helpful
Really really yummy0 Helpful
Loved this. I didn't make the sweet potato mash. A quick and healthy meal!0 Helpful
I gave it 4stars because I only made the chicken. The taste was yummy and the process was easy!!0 Helpful
In my experience the chicken took a bit longer to cook, but the flavor was amazing! Rice was a little bland however I chose to put mine into a tortilla with the chicken and than covered all of it with the lime juice it was excellent.0 Helpful
Husband loved the potatoes but they weren’t for me; I’m not a sweet flavors kind of person. We both loved the salad and the chicken though!0 Helpful