Jerk Chicken Thighs with coconut mashed sweet potatoes / tomato cucumber salsa
This meal is quickly becoming a Cook Smarts classic. The comforting, fresh, and spicy flavors make this a combination that we are always excited to bring back. It was last featured in 2018.
- Jalapenos - 1, sliced; seeded if you want less heat
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, peeled and cubed
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Onions, medium red - 1/4, diced
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 1/2 cups, halved
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, diced
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Garlic / Ginger / Jalapenos / Onions - Prep as directed. Combine garlic and ginger. Store jalapenos and onions in their own containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Combine jalapenos, Jerk seasoning, honey, cinnamon, aminos, vinegar, and cooking oil. Add chicken to marinade and turn to coat. Tenderize chicken with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Sweet potatoes - Peel and chop into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cucumbers / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Place sweet potatoes, garlic, and ginger into stock pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and then simmer until you can easily insert a knife through the potatoes, ~6 to 10 minutes. When sweet potatoes are done drain and let steam for ~5 minutes so some of the moisture evaporates.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush some oil over skillet and add chicken. Sear chicken for 3 minutes, turn over, and lower heat to medium. Cover with a lid and continue cooking for another 3 minutes (until chicken reaches 165F / 74C).
- Mash sweet potatoes with coconut milk, starting with less and adding more as needed. Season to taste with some salt.
- Toss tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and cilantro with vinegar and olive oil.
- Serve chicken with mashed sweet potatoes and lime wedges. Enjoy salsa over top!
This meal has 40 reviews
Really really yummy
Loved this. I didn't make the sweet potato mash. A quick and healthy meal!
I gave it 4stars because I only made the chicken. The taste was yummy and the process was easy!!
In my experience the chicken took a bit longer to cook, but the flavor was amazing! Rice was a little bland however I chose to put mine into a tortilla with the chicken and than covered all of it with the lime juice it was excellent.
Husband loved the potatoes but they weren’t for me; I’m not a sweet flavors kind of person. We both loved the salad and the chicken though!
The rice and beans were a bit bland, probably because we used unsweetened and low sodium everything. Seasoned with some jerk seasoning and cinnamon and it was great!