Jerk Chicken Thighs with coconut rice and beans / tomato cucumber salsa
This meal is quickly becoming a Cook Smarts classic. The comforting, fresh, and spicy flavors make this a combination that we are always excited to bring back. It was last featured in 2018.
- Jalapenos - 1, sliced; seeded if you want less heat
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Beans, kidney (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Bay leaves - 1
- Rice, long-grain, uncooked - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Onions, medium red - 1/4, diced
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 1/2 cups, halved
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, diced
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Garlic / Ginger / Jalapenos / Onions - Prep as directed. Combine garlic and ginger. Store jalapenos and onions in their own containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Combine jalapenos, Jerk seasoning, brown sugar, cinnamon, soy sauce, vinegar, and cooking oil. Add chicken to marinade and turn to coat. Tenderize chicken with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cucumbers / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Pour in coconut milk, garlic, ginger, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and then add rice, stock, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until rice has absorbed all of the liquid.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade). Season with some salt and pepper.
- While rice is cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush some oil over skillet and add chicken. Sear chicken for 3 minutes, turn over, and lower heat to medium. Cover with a lid and continue cooking for another 3 minutes (until chicken reaches 165F / 74C).
- Toss tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and cilantro with vinegar and olive oil.
- Remove and discard bay leaves from rice. Fold in beans.
- Serve chicken with lime wedges. Enjoy rice and beans and salsa on the side.
This meal has 40 reviews
Was good - but not amazing. Didn’t think the salad had much flavor.
Very flavorful and easy to make.
I loved this meal. I used Slap Ya Mama seasoning because it's what I had on hand and the sweet potatoes perfectly balanced the spiciness.
Delicious chicken and salad. I wasn't a huge fan of the coconut rice and if I did it again I would make rice like normal. However, the chicken more than made up for the rice.
SUCH a great recipe! What an awesome combination of flavors! It was so well-balanced, our whole family loved it. We’ll definitely be making it again!
This was easy and tasty. I doubled the chicken (for 3 adults) and made the rice and beans in the rice cooker. I didn't make the salsa.