Jerk Chicken Thighs
with coconut rice and beans / tomato cucumber salsa
This meal is quickly becoming a Cook Smarts classic. The comforting, fresh, and spicy flavors make this a combination that we are always excited to bring back. It was last featured in 2018.
- Jalapenos - 1 , sliced; seeded if you want less heat
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp , grated
- Beans, kidney (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Bay leaves - 1
- Rice, long-grain, uncooked - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Onions, medium red - 1/4 , diced
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 1/2 cups , halved
- Cucumbers - 12 oz , diced
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
Garlic / Ginger / Jalapenos / Onions - Prep as directed. Combine garlic and ginger. Store jalapenos and onions in their own containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Marinate chicken - Combine jalapenos, Jerk seasoning, brown sugar, cinnamon, soy sauce, vinegar, and cooking oil. Add chicken to marinade and turn to coat. Tenderize chicken with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Pour in coconut milk, garlic, ginger, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and then add rice, stock, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until rice has absorbed all of the liquid.
Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade). Season with some salt and pepper.
While rice is cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush some oil over skillet and add chicken. Sear chicken for 3 minutes, turn over, and lower heat to medium. Cover with a lid and continue cooking for another 3 minutes (until chicken reaches 165F / 74C).
Toss tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and cilantro with vinegar and olive oil.
Remove and discard bay leaves from rice. Fold in beans.
Serve chicken with lime wedges. Enjoy rice and beans and salsa on the side.