Sausage and Vegetable Curry Soup
with curry roasted cauliflower
- Zucchini - 12 oz, cubed
- Sausage, cooked - 16 oz, chopped (use any pre-cooked or smoked variety)
- Onions, medium and red - 1, diced
- Carrots - 4 oz, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Curry powder, yellow and mild - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can (we liked fire roasted tomatoes in this, but regular will work)
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Cauliflower - 1 lb, florets chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Curry powder, yellow and mild - 1 1/2 tsp
- Cauliflower / Zucchini / Sausage / Onions / Carrots / Garlic / Ginger - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store cauliflower, zucchini, and sausage in their own containers. Combine onions and carrots in one container. Combine garlic and ginger in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Toss cauliflower with oil (portion for cauliflower), curry powder (portion for the cauliflower) and some salt. Spread out on a sheet pan and transfer to oven. Roast cauliflower, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until cauliflower is tender and golden brown in spots, ~30 minutes total.
- While cauliflower roasts, heat a Dutch oven with oil (portion for soup) over medium heat. Add sausage and saute until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes total. Set aside.
- To heated pan add butter and then onions and carrots with a pinch of salt. Saute, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, until vegetables are soft, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry powder (portion for the soup), cumin, and red pepper flakes. Saute for 1 minute more.
- Add zucchini, crushed tomatoes, coconut milk, stock, and sausage back to pan. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until zucchini is tender, ~10 minutes.
- Season soup to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with cilantro. Serve soup with cauliflower on the side. Enjoy!
Left chunky this time, used diced tomatoes because we didn’t have crushed. Used whole can of coconut milk (6 person). It was great, but kids 3&5 ate more the time we puréed it.0 Helpful
Fantastic. Used a cajun-style andouille sausage and it matched perfectly. Make sure you have your spices and everything measured out and ready to go ahead of time, because the sauteing part goes quickly.0 Helpful
Loved this soup. Made it with Thai red curry paste and put riced cauliflower in to speed things up.0 Helpful
Delicious. Blended in the Vitamix and the texture is super velvety. Great flavor, especially with the yogurt and cilantro toppings. Will definitely make again!0 Helpful
We loved this hearty soup. Will definitely make again this winter.0 Helpful