Curried Red Lentil Soup
with curry roasted cauliflower
- Onions, medium and red - 1, diced
- Carrots - 4 oz, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Curry powder, yellow and mild - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can (we liked fire roasted tomatoes in this, but regular will work)
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Lentils, red and uncooked - 1 1/4 cups (sub yellow lentils)
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Cauliflower - 1 lb, florets chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Curry powder, yellow and mild - 1 1/2 tsp
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- While oven is heating, heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter. When butter melts, add onions and carrots with a pinch of salt. Saute until soft, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry powder (portion for the soup), cumin, and red pepper flakes. Saute for 1 minute more.
- To soup add crushed tomatoes, coconut milk, stock, and lentils. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, toss cauliflower with oil, curry powder (portion for the cauliflower), and some salt. Spread out on a sheet pan and transfer to oven. Roast cauliflower, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until cauliflower is tender and golden brown in spots, ~30 minutes total.
- When soup is finished, stir in lemon juice. (Optional: If you would like a smooth soup, puree with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.)
- Season soup to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Serve with yogurt and cilantro on top. Enjoy cauliflower on the side.
Easy to make and delicious! I added about 1/2 c extra coconut milk and 1/2 c broth to ensure it wasn't too thick. I subbed white onion for red and added the ginger.0 Helpful
Easy to make and so good! First recipe I tried and I am very happy with it.0 Helpful
I made the portion for 8 and used two cans of coconut milk. Delicious!0 Helpful
Delicious soup! Loved the cauliflower too.0 Helpful
Loved this but more of as a thick puree! i ended up steaming/ panfrying the cauliflower with some garam masala for an added flavor! Forgot to save some of the coconut milk from the coconut rice earlier this week so i subbed the remainder of my sour cream tub and it turned out well! Would have enjoyed cocount milk more though! Also had to substitute a white onion for the red onion since there were no red onions in the store.0 Helpful
I enjoyed the soup, but the curried cauliflower was the star of this show for me. I don't even like cauliflower that much, but this preparation was so easy and delicious that I might eat it all the time now!0 Helpful