Curried Red Lentil Soup
with curry roasted cauliflower
Smarts: Feel free to blend the soup until smooth or skip the blending step and leave it with some texture.
- Onions, medium and red - 1, diced
- Carrots - 4 oz, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Curry powder, yellow and mild - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can (we liked fire roasted tomatoes in this, but regular will work)
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Lentils, red and uncooked - 1 1/4 cups (sub yellow lentils)
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Cauliflower - 1 lb, florets chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Curry powder, yellow and mild - 1 1/2 tsp
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- While oven is heating, heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter. When butter melts, add onions and carrots with a pinch of salt. Saute until soft, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry powder (portion for the soup), cumin, and red pepper flakes. Saute for 1 minute more.
- To soup add crushed tomatoes, coconut milk, stock, and lentils. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, toss cauliflower with oil, curry powder (portion for the cauliflower), and some salt. Spread out on a sheet pan and transfer to oven. Roast cauliflower, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until cauliflower is tender and golden brown in spots, ~30 minutes total.
- When soup is finished, stir in lemon juice. (Optional: If you would like a smooth soup, puree with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.)
- Season soup to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Serve with yogurt and cilantro on top. Enjoy cauliflower on the side.
Left chunky this time, used diced tomatoes because we didn’t have crushed. Used whole can of coconut milk (6 person). It was great, but kids 3&5 ate more the time we puréed it.0 Helpful
Fantastic. Used a cajun-style andouille sausage and it matched perfectly. Make sure you have your spices and everything measured out and ready to go ahead of time, because the sauteing part goes quickly.0 Helpful
Loved this soup. Made it with Thai red curry paste and put riced cauliflower in to speed things up.0 Helpful
Delicious. Blended in the Vitamix and the texture is super velvety. Great flavor, especially with the yogurt and cilantro toppings. Will definitely make again!0 Helpful
We loved this hearty soup. Will definitely make again this winter.0 Helpful