Orzo Saute with Mushrooms and Chickpeas
with garlic broccolini
- Pasta, orzo - 8 oz, sub any small pasta shape
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Mushrooms - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Eggplant and Red Pepper Pesto (leftover from Monday) - ~1 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Broccolini - 12 oz, trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Pasta - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Cook pasta according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Garlic / Broccolini - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss broccolini and garlic with cooking oil and spread out on a sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Transfer sheet pan to oven and roast until broccolini is tender but still crunchy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add butter and then mushrooms to melted butter. Saute mushrooms until very tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Add shallots and saute for 2 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Stir in pasta and beans. Saute for 1 minute more just to heat through.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in pesto.
- Squeeze lemon juice over broccolini.
- Serve orzo saute with broccolini on the side. Enjoy!
This was a real miss for us. The "pesto" (without basil?) was bland and labor-intensive. I ended up throwing the rest of it out instead of using it in the dependency meal. The fish was fine, but without anything interesting going on. The broccoli (couldn't find broccolini) was pretty good, but a side does not a meal make. We won't be making this again.0 Helpful
After reading the reviews on this I was expecting a pretty bland meal, but was pleasantly surprised. The pesto had time to develop and gave the fish (I used cod) a bit of a fancy upgrade. I subbed garlic butter instead of cooking oil for the broccolini and it was great. I also grilled the entire meal on sheet pans in my grill instead of the oven...I hate heating up my house in the summer and this turned out perfectly.0 Helpful
Unfortunately, this is really quite boring. It definitely needed some kind of kick to it. Maybe some feta cheese or something?0 Helpful
A 325 calorie meal? What is this, a meal for ants?0 Helpful
I feel like perhaps I changed this around too much to even review, but here goes. I didn't make the pesto since it seemed that people weren't impressed with it. Instead I made deconstructed pesto with all of the pesto ingredients--just not pureed. Subbed salmon for tilapia and added orzo. In the end, it was a different dish, but with a similar flavor profile.0 Helpful
The pesto is amazing, but I gave the high marks to the burger meal for that. The fish was fine.0 Helpful