Roasted Tilapia with Eggplant and Red Pepper Pestowith garlic broccolini
We are excited to bring back this easy roasted tilapia from early years (2014) of our meal planning service. (Fun fact: This was the first Cook Smarts recipe that meal planner Jess Smith cooked for her family when she joined as a community member!)
- Lemons - 1/2, wedges
- Tilapia - 1 1/2 lbs (sub any white fish)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Eggplant and Red Pepper Pesto (leftover from Monday) - ~1 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Broccolini - 12 oz, trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Garlic / Broccolini - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lemons - Slice into wedges. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tilapia - Rinse and pat dry. Brush a sheet pan with some cooking oil and place fish on top. Brush fish with olive oil and season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss broccolini and garlic with cooking oil and spread out on a second sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Transfer both sheet pans to the oven. Roast until fish flakes easily with a fork and broccolini is tender but still crunchy. They should finish around the same time, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Reheat pesto briefly in the microwave.
- Squeeze lemon juice over broccolini.
- Spoon pesto onto serving plates. Top pesto with tilapia. Serve with broccolini and lemon wedges on the side.
I roasted some baby potatoes alongside the broccoli to round out the meal. The pesto was a lot of work and just okay (not amazing). I did like how quick and easy the cooking was and the pesto did add extra veg, but I'm not sure I'd come back to this one.0 Helpful
This is a rare miss for us from cooksmarts. The food was fine enough, (we always love roasted broccolini) but the pesto was a NIGHTMARE to make and simply not worth the effort at all. The skins took ages to peel, so we're not sure if we didn't roast them long enough, but the pesto itself wasn't flavorful enough to justify the time it took to make. Just buy store-made pesto and save yourself the massive headache.0 Helpful
Made this with store-bought tomato pesto since we skipped the lamb and feta burgers this week, and it was delicious. I can't vouch for the eggplant and red pepper pesto, but I love learning the bones of this recipe. It will serve me well. Who knew that 12 minutes at 425 made the most perfect tilapia I've ever tasted?0 Helpful