Orzo Saute with Mushrooms and Chickpeas
with garlic broccolini
With leftover pesto from earlier in the week, this orzo pasta saute comes together fast.
Smarts: Small, rice-shaped orzo pasta cooks fast and is easy to coat with sauce. Feel free to use any other small pasta shape you prefer.
- Pasta, orzo - 8 oz, sub any small pasta shape
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Mushrooms - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Eggplant and Red Pepper Pesto (leftover from Monday) - ~1 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Broccolini - 12 oz, trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Pasta - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Cook pasta according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Garlic / Broccolini - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss broccolini and garlic with cooking oil and spread out on a sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Transfer sheet pan to oven and roast until broccolini is tender but still crunchy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add butter and then mushrooms to melted butter. Saute mushrooms until very tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Add shallots and saute for 2 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Stir in pasta and beans. Saute for 1 minute more just to heat through.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in pesto.
- Squeeze lemon juice over broccolini.
- Serve orzo saute with broccolini on the side. Enjoy!
Nice use for eggplant while the thick cut mushrooms provided great flavor.0 Helpful
I made the veggie version of this. I definitely preferred the eggplant 'pesto' as a pasta sauce instead of a spread.0 Helpful
Made sundried tomato pesto instead because...we didn't make the lamb burgers so we didn't have any ingredients for the red pepper and eggplant since they didn't appear on the grocery list. PLEASE, PLEASE make recipes stand-alone, even if they have dependencies!! At least it ended up being a good, quick, minimal prep meal because of the lack of roasting involved for us.0 Helpful
This one was a pretty solid “good but not great” meal for me. I used store bought tomato pesto since I skipped the burger, and I think that might have been what I wasn’t loving about this meal. I did enjoy having the leftovers for lunch today, I just wish it would’ve been a little more substantial.0 Helpful
pesto was good. tilapia is very mild/boring, but really allowed the pesto to shine. i’m glad well use the pesto in two meals since it was quite a bit of work. to make it easier, make sure all sides of the bell peppers are blackened/roasted and that the eggplant isn’t purple any more so they’re easier to peel.0 Helpful
I really liked this! So did my toddler. The trick to the eggplant is to roast it longer - until all the skin is charred.This ended up requiring an extra 7 minutes under the broiler for me. This was light and flavorful. I also added some veggie Italian sausage for extra protein.0 Helpful