Roasted Tilapia with Eggplant and Red Pepper Pesto
with garlic broccolini
We are excited to bring back this easy roasted tilapia from early years (2014) of our meal planning service. (Fun fact: This was the first Cook Smarts recipe that meal planner Jess Smith cooked for her family when she joined as a community member!)
- Lemons - 1/2, wedges
- Tilapia - 1 1/2 lbs (sub any white fish)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Eggplant and Red Pepper Pesto (leftover from Monday) - ~1 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Broccolini - 12 oz, trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Garlic / Broccolini - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lemons - Slice into wedges. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tilapia - Rinse and pat dry. Brush a sheet pan with some cooking oil and place fish on top. Brush fish with olive oil and season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss broccolini and garlic with cooking oil and spread out on a second sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Transfer both sheet pans to the oven. Roast until fish flakes easily with a fork and broccolini is tender but still crunchy. They should finish around the same time, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Reheat pesto briefly in the microwave.
- Squeeze lemon juice over broccolini.
- Spoon pesto onto serving plates. Top pesto with tilapia. Serve with broccolini and lemon wedges on the side.
Nice use for eggplant while the thick cut mushrooms provided great flavor.0 Helpful
I made the veggie version of this. I definitely preferred the eggplant 'pesto' as a pasta sauce instead of a spread.0 Helpful
Made sundried tomato pesto instead because...we didn't make the lamb burgers so we didn't have any ingredients for the red pepper and eggplant since they didn't appear on the grocery list. PLEASE, PLEASE make recipes stand-alone, even if they have dependencies!! At least it ended up being a good, quick, minimal prep meal because of the lack of roasting involved for us.0 Helpful
This one was a pretty solid “good but not great” meal for me. I used store bought tomato pesto since I skipped the burger, and I think that might have been what I wasn’t loving about this meal. I did enjoy having the leftovers for lunch today, I just wish it would’ve been a little more substantial.0 Helpful
pesto was good. tilapia is very mild/boring, but really allowed the pesto to shine. i’m glad well use the pesto in two meals since it was quite a bit of work. to make it easier, make sure all sides of the bell peppers are blackened/roasted and that the eggplant isn’t purple any more so they’re easier to peel.0 Helpful
I really liked this! So did my toddler. The trick to the eggplant is to roast it longer - until all the skin is charred.This ended up requiring an extra 7 minutes under the broiler for me. This was light and flavorful. I also added some veggie Italian sausage for extra protein.0 Helpful