Orzo Saute with Mushrooms and Chickpeas
with garlic broccolini
With leftover pesto from earlier in the week, this orzo pasta saute comes together fast.
Smarts: Small, rice-shaped orzo pasta cooks fast and is easy to coat with sauce. Feel free to use any other small pasta shape you prefer.
- Pasta, orzo - 8 oz, sub any small pasta shape
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Mushrooms - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Eggplant and Red Pepper Pesto (leftover from Monday) - ~1 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Broccolini - 12 oz, trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Pasta - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Cook pasta according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Garlic / Broccolini - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss broccolini and garlic with cooking oil and spread out on a sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Transfer sheet pan to oven and roast until broccolini is tender but still crunchy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add butter and then mushrooms to melted butter. Saute mushrooms until very tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Add shallots and saute for 2 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Stir in pasta and beans. Saute for 1 minute more just to heat through.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in pesto.
- Squeeze lemon juice over broccolini.
- Serve orzo saute with broccolini on the side. Enjoy!
Super quick and easy. We aren’t fans of egg plant so we used the sun-dried tomato / arugula pesto from the previous week.0 Helpful
Love the pesto and broccolini. I used an Italian eggplant because that's all my store had. It came out great.0 Helpful
I broiled the eggplant for the pesto longer than the directions suggest based on the reviews that I read and added a bit more salt to the pesto at the end, but I found this dish to be light and enjoyable. I appreciated the plating suggestion on the photo and I got two thumbs up from my husband. We might use the extra pesto as a dip or on pasta.0 Helpful
Nothing too special, but cheap and easy. So I call it a win.0 Helpful
Pesto was flavorless as was the fish. Broccolini was great. Overall meal was edible, but boring.0 Helpful
This was the first cooksmarts meal we've ever made that we just absolutely didn't like. No idea what happened but there just wasn't any flavor here in the paleo version, at least. Maybe we didn't roast the veggies long enough, no idea, honestly.0 Helpful