Mediterranean Flatbreadwith arugula and watermelon salad
The real star tonight is the eggplant and red pepper pesto that will be used in two meals this week. We've included grilling instructions in case you want to cook the flatbreads that way. The smoky flavors of the grill go great with the meal.
- Flatbreads, pita rounds, or naan - 4
- Eggplant and Red Pepper Pesto (ingredients listed separately) - ~1 cup
- Cheese, provolone - 8 slices
- Bell peppers, red - 3
- Eggplants, Chinese or Japanese - 1 1/2 lbs (substitute Italian eggplant)
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Walnuts - 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Watermelon (opt) - 2 cups, cubed
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Arugula - 4 oz
- Roast vegetables - (This makes enough for 2 nights.) Fire up the grill or turn on the oven’s broiler. Core stem out of peppers. Pierce eggplants all over with a fork. Brush peppers and eggplants with some cooking oil. Place over direct heat on the grill or broil on a sheet pan for 6 minutes each side. When peppers are charred and eggplants are soft, place them in a mixing bowl and cover with a plate to help steam off skins. When cool enough to handle, scrape flesh out of eggplants and peel skins off of red peppers. (Discard skins.) This video shows you how to roast peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make pesto - Combine flesh of eggplants, peppers, garlic, and walnuts in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until everything is combined and smooth. Finish with lemon juice and taste to season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Watermelon - Cube watermelon.
- If cooking in the oven: Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees. Place flatbreads on a sheet pan. Spread with a thin layer of pesto (reserve half for Thursday) and top with cheese. Bake in the oven until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, 10 to 12 minutes.
- If cooking on the grill: Heat grill to 400F / 204C degrees. Brush grill grates with some cooking oil and then place flatbreads over direct heat. Grill until grill marks are visible, ~3 minutes. Flip flatbreads and spread with a thin layer of pesto (reserve half for Thursday) and top with cheese. Move flatbreads to indirect heat if possible. Close the lid and continue grilling until cheese is melted, ~3 minutes more.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together maple syrup and vinegar. Add oil while whisking. Top with arugula and watermelon. Toss gently to combnee.
- Slice flatbreads and serve with salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 28 reviews
Used spring mix instead of arugula. The whole family loved it! Didn't feel up to doing the roasting, so I mixed 3 store bought items together for a fabulous sauce: babaganoush, roasted red pepper hummus, and sun dried tomato pesto. This is my new favorite sauce for sandwiches, burgers, fish whatever.
The burgers had good flavor and I will make them again. I wrapped them in romaine "buns" to hold them. I thought the pesto was okay, but not sure it was worth the effort for this meal, though it shined when I used the remainder for the next nights fish...not sure if it was because it had time for the flavors to develop or if it was outshined by the flavors of the burger (I added quite a bit of salt and pepper, too, that definitely gave it a bit more). The salad was meh and I probably wouldn't make again.
I eat a bit more primal than paleo so did the burgers with feta and no bun. Skipped the pesto and just used a quick homemade tzatziki sauce (yogurt, cucumber, dill). Thought the burgers were delish. Definitely would make again.
Not huge lamb fans in this house so we subbed beef, but I'm here to talk about THAT SAUCE!! I'm not sure why everyone else seems to have not appreciated it, but it's my new favourite healthy sauce. I feel like we could put it on so many things!
I love the lamb burgers but the pesto was boring and not worth the time it took to make. Still, four stars for the patties.
Salad & burger A+ I thought I must have done something wrong in my pesto, then I read the reviews. Pesto was a genuine pain & waste of 90 minutes topped with frustration. For a beginner attempting to make meals it was very disappointing to have this recommended .