Stuffed Chicken Breast with Tomato Pesto
and roasted green beans
Stuffed, prosciutto-wrapped chicken breast is a dish that won high reviews from our community in 2017. With sun-dried tomato pesto leftover from earlier in the week, the dish comes together surprisingly fast.
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto:
- Sun-dried tomatoes in oil - 1/2 cup , drained and rinsed
- Garlic - 1 clove , peeled
- Pecan halves - 1/4 cup
- Arugula - 1/2 oz
- Oil, olive - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
Green Beans with Pine Nuts:
- Green beans - 1 lb , trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub slivered almonds)
Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Tomato Pesto:
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 2 , butterflied and flattened
- Parchment paper -
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Sun dried tomato pesto (ingredients listed separately) - 1/3 cup
- Prosciutto, thinly sliced - 6 slices
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 1 tsp
- Stock, chicken - 3/4 cup
- Make pesto - (Skip if pesto was made ahead on Tuesday. If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Drain and rinse tomatoes. Peel garlic. Place all pesto ingredients into a food processor. Pulse until thickened. If it's not 'saucy' enough, add more olive oil or a splash of water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Trim beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Butterfly chicken breasts by slicing chicken breast in half, making sure you don’t slice all the way through so that the two halves are still connected. Open up chicken breasts, like opening a book. Place parchment paper over breasts and pound with a tenderizer, until breasts are about 1/2” / 1.25 cm thick. Sprinkle on Italian seasoning with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. Fill chicken with pesto. Fold chicken breasts closed and wrap each stuffed chicken breast with 3 slices of prosciutto. Watch this video to see how it's done. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C.
- Toss green beans with cooking oil (portion for beans) and season with some salt and pepper. Spread on a sheet pan and roast, shaking pan halfway through cooking, until beans are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While green beans roast, heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil (portion for chicken) and then prosciutto-wrapped chicken breasts to heated oil. Sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes and then transfer to the oven, cooking for another 8 to 15 minutes, until chicken reaches 165F / 74C.
- Stir arrowroot powder into stock.
- When chicken is done, remove from pan to rest. Place skillet over medium heat and pour in stock. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until sauce is thick and creamy.
- Toss green beans with lemon juice and pine nuts.
- Slice chicken breasts and serve with sauce on top. Enjoy with green beans on the side.