Stuffed Chicken Breast with Tomato Pesto
and roasted green beans
- Sun-dried tomatoes in oil - 1/2 cup, drained and rinsed
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Pecan halves - 1/4 cup
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Arugula - 1/2 oz
- Oil, olive - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Almonds, slivered - 1/4 cup (sub pecans)
- Cheese, fontina - 2 oz, shredded (sub fresh mozzarella)
- Sun dried tomato pesto (ingredients listed separately) - 1/3 cup
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 2, butterflied and flattened
- Parchment paper -
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Prosciutto, thinly sliced - 6 slices
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Stock, chicken - 1/2 cup
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Make pesto - (Skip if pesto was made ahead on Tuesday. If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Drain and rinse tomatoes. Peel garlic. Place all pesto ingredients into a food processor. Pulse until thickened. If it's not 'saucy' enough, add more olive oil or a splash of water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Trim beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make chicken stuffing - Grate cheese and combine with pesto. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Butterfly chicken breasts by slicing chicken breast in half, making sure you don’t slice all the way through so that the two halves are still connected. Open up chicken breasts, like opening a book. Place parchment paper over breasts and pound with a tenderizer, until breasts are about 1/2” / 1.25 cm thick. Sprinkle on Italian seasoning with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. Fill chicken with cheese and pesto. Fold chicken breasts closed and wrap each stuffed chicken breast with 3 slices of prosciutto. Watch this video to see how it's done. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C.
- Toss green beans with cooking oil (portion for beans) and season with some salt and pepper. Spread on a sheet pan and roast, shaking pan halfway through cooking, until beans are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While green beans roast, heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil (portion for chicken) and then prosciutto-wrapped chicken breasts to heated oil. Sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes and then transfer to the oven, cooking for another 8 to 15 minutes, until chicken reaches 165F / 74C.
- Stir cornstarch into stock.
- When chicken is done, remove from pan to rest. Place skillet over medium heat and pour in white wine, scraping up any bits remaining in the pan. Next add stock and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until sauce is thick and creamy.
- Toss green beans with lemon juice and almonds.
- Slice chicken breasts and serve with sauce on top. Enjoy with green beans on the side.
This was outstanding. Really delicious!0 Helpful
I really loved the whole meal. However, I am sensitive to salt and found it a bit too salty. If you are like me I wouldn't add any extra. Between the Parmesan and the Prosciutto it would have been enough. Make this when company is coming! They will be impressed!0 Helpful
We've made this one several times and really enjoy it0 Helpful
Fantastic!! So excited about this recipe. I took the advice of others and cooked the chicken a bit longer than recommended.0 Helpful
Loved every bite of this!0 Helpful
Really delicious! Definitely make the pesto ahead, especially if doing this on a weeknight. My chicken also took longer to cook than the range in the recipe - perhaps I didn't pound it thin enough? But it still turned out great. :)0 Helpful