Baked Greek Sweet Potatoes
with sun-dried tomato pesto / arugula salad
This meatless meal was such a hit when we first featured it as the vegetarian option in November 2015 that it's now become a favorite for all diet types. We think of these as sweet potato "nachos" with a Greek twist!
Balsamic Arugula Salad:
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Arugula - 4 oz
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto:
- Sun-dried tomatoes in oil - 1/2 cup , drained and rinsed
- Garlic - 1 clove , peeled
- Pecan halves - 1/4 cup
- Arugula - 1/2 oz
- Oil, olive - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
Baked Greek Sweet Potatoes:
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lb , peeled and cubed
- Olives, kalamata, pitted - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Parsley - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Foil - for roasting
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Sun-dried tomato pesto (ingredients listed separately) - 1/3 cup
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub slivered almonds)
- Make pesto - Double if making Thursday's meal. (Note: If prepping right before cooking, get potatoes in the oven before making pesto.) Drain and rinse tomatoes. Peel garlic. Place all pesto ingredients into a food processor. Pulse until thickened. If it's not 'saucy' enough, add more olive oil or a splash of water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made up to 5 days ahead)
- Potatoes / Olives - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Parsley - Chop parsley.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Spread potatoes out onto a sheet pan and cover tightly with some foil. Cook potatoes for 12 minutes, then remove foil and toss with olive oil (portion for potatoes), Italian seasoning, and some salt and pepper.
- Return pan to oven and continue cooking potatoes, uncovered, until tender, ~10 minutes.
- Remove from oven again and top with pesto (reserve half if doubled for Thursday), olives, and pine nuts. Return to oven and continue cooking until nuts are golden brown ~5 minutes more.
- When potatoes are nearly done roasting, whisk together vinegar, honey, mustard, and olive oil (portion for salad) in a mixing bowl. Add arugula (portion for salad) on top and toss just before serving.
- Top potatoes with parsley and serve with arugula salad on the side. Enjoy!