Baked Greek Potatoes with sun-dried tomato pesto / arugula salad
This meatless meal was such a hit when we first featured it as the vegetarian option in November 2015 that it's now become a favorite for all diet types. We think of these as potato "nachos" with a Greek twist!
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Arugula - 4 oz
- Sun-dried tomatoes in oil - 1/2 cup, drained and rinsed
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Pecan halves - 1/4 cup
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Arugula - 1/2 oz
- Oil, olive - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, fontina - 4 oz, shredded (sub fresh mozzarella)
- Olives, kalamata, pitted - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Parsley - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Potatoes, baby or new - 2 lbs, quartered (sub Russet)
- Foil - for roasting
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Sun-dried tomato pesto (ingredients listed separately) - 1/3 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup (sub sour cream)
- Make pesto - Double if making Thursday's meal. (Note: If prepping right before cooking, get potatoes in the oven before making pesto.) Drain and rinse tomatoes. Peel garlic. Place all pesto ingredients into a food processor. Pulse until thickened. If it's not 'saucy' enough, add more olive oil or a splash of water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese / Olives - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Parsley - Chop parsley.
- Potatoes - Quarter potatoes. (Note: if using large potatoes like Russet, slice into cubes.)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Spread potatoes out onto a sheet pan and cover tightly with some foil. Cook potatoes for 12 minutes, then remove foil and toss with olive oil (portion for potatoes), Italian seasoning, and some salt and pepper.
- Return pan to oven and continue cooking potatoes, uncovered, until tender, ~10 minutes.
- Remove from oven again and top with pesto (reserve half if doubled for Thursday), cheese, and olives. Return to oven and continue cooking until cheese is melted, ~5 minutes more.
- When potatoes are nearly done roasting, whisk together vinegar, honey, mustard, and olive oil (portion for salad) in a mixing bowl. Add arugula (portion for salad) on top and toss just before serving.
- Serve potatoes topped with parsley and yogurt. Enjoy arugula salad on the side.
This meal has 33 reviews
This was really delicious, and came together quickly with the pesto made ahead.
We bought pesto instead of making it. The potatoes were delicious!
I guess I'm alone in this but I hated the pesto.
I couldn't believe how yummy the pesto was. I also added some chicken, but afterwards thought it wasn't really needed.
Loved! All of the "store bought pesto" people are missing out on a lot of flavor for really very little work. I threw my parmesan in ungrated and let the food processor do that too! Two thumbs up from my picky husband.
Love the pesto. Added a little chicken in the side for protein. I enjoyed this, but not really a favorite. Though I definitely want to keep and use the pesto recipe.