Bell Pepper, Bean, and Provolone Pizza
with cucumber and tomato salad
Taking inspiration from the classic "Philly" sandwich made with meat, peppers, onions, and Provolone cheese we've given this vegetarian version a Cook Smarts twist. We think you'll love the protein-rich creaminess from the refried beans that serve as a stand-in for traditional tomato-based sauce.
Bell Pepper, Bean, and Provolone Pizza:
- Pizza dough - 1 lb
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, green - 1 , sliced
- Onions, medium red - 1 , sliced
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Beans, refried (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Cheese, provolone - 8 slices (sub any sliced cheese)
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - for serving
Cucumber and Tomato Salad:
- Cucumbers - 10 oz , chopped
- Tomatoes, any type - 10 oz , chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/4 tsp
- Pizza dough - Cover in flour and let rest for at least 30 minutes outside of fridge before rolling out. (Resting dough gives gluten time to chill out, which makes the dough much more pliable.)
- Bell Peppers / Onions / Garlic - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Combine peppers and onions. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. Combine with vinegar, olive oil, and Italian seasoning.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees and position top rack so it’s at the very top.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onions and saute until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Brush a sheet pan with some oil.
- Using hands, stretch out pizza dough to cover sheet pan.
- Bake dough on top rack for 3 minutes without toppings. (This solo time in the oven gives the dough time to crisp up; if you put toppings on now, your crust may get soggy.)
- Remove pizza from oven. Spread beans over the top of the dough. Add peppers and onions. Top with cheese slices and red pepper flakes.
- Bake pizza until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbly, 8 to 12 minutes.
- While pizza bakes, give cucumbers and tomatoes a stir. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Slice pizza and serve with cucumber and tomato salad. Enjoy!