Philly Cheesesteak Pizza with cucumber and tomato salad
The classic meat and cheese sandwich from Philadelphia translates perfectly to this pizza! Purchasing deli-sliced roast beef and provolone cheese means that most of the toppings are ready to go without any prep.
Smarts: This "white pizza" uses garlic oil instead of a more substantial sauce. We don't think you'll miss the sauce, but feel free to add one if you'd prefer!
- Pizza dough - 1 lb
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, green - 1, sliced
- Onions, medium red - 1, sliced
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Roast beef, deli sliced - 4 oz
- Cheese, provolone - 8 slices (sub any sliced cheese)
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - for serving
- Cucumbers - 10 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes, any type - 10 oz, chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/4 tsp
- Pizza dough - Cover in flour and let rest for at least 30 minutes outside of fridge before rolling out. (Resting dough gives gluten time to chill out, which makes the dough much more pliable.)
- Bell Peppers / Onions / Garlic - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Combine peppers and onions. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make garlic oil - Combine garlic, Italian seasoning (portion for pizza), and olive oil (portion for pizza). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. Combine with vinegar, olive oil (portion for salad), and Italian seasoning (portion for salad).
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees and position top rack so it’s at the very top.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onions and saute until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Brush a sheet pan with some oil.
- Using hands, stretch out pizza dough to cover sheet pan.
- Bake dough on top rack for 3 minutes without toppings. (This solo time in the oven gives the dough time to crisp up; if you put toppings on now, your crust may get soggy.)
- Remove pizza from oven. Brush the surface of the dough with garlic oil. Spread roast beef out in a thin layer over pizza dough (you can tear it into smaller pieces if needed). Add peppers and onions. Top with cheese slices and red pepper flakes.
- Bake pizza until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbly, 8 to 12 minutes.
- While pizza bakes, give cucumbers and tomatoes a stir. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Slice pizza and serve with cucumber and tomato salad. Enjoy!
This meal has 20 reviews
This Pizza was excellent! I chose to add a sauce as I super love sauce with pizza lol. For the sauce I used: 1 tablespoon butter 1 tablespoon flour ½ cup cold milk 1-3 cloves garlic, pressed 1/8 teaspoon salt a pinch of black pepper AND nutmeg ¼ cup parmesan cheese Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and let cook for 1 minute or until it smells like baked pie dough. Slowly stream in the cold milk while you whisk. Add the pressed garlic and allow the sauce to come to a gentle simmer. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Remove the sauce from the stove; whisk in the parmesan cheese. Allow the sauce to cool for 5-10 minutes, you can prep your veggies in that time. I also used homemade crust which just made this meal phenominal!! Next time I plan to add mushrooms!
LOVE!! Everything about this was delicious.
I used Udi's tortillas for the crust. Quick and easy!
This is an excellent recipe! We made this exactly as instructed and it turned out great. The garlic oil was perfect for this type of pizza and the whole thing couldn't have been easier to put together. We made two pizzas and didn't leave a single slice. Even our pickiest eater ate this and asked for more.
Family was sceptical but came around after they tried it. My 3.5 year old said it “was wonderful”. I fell on the floor.
Pretty good. I made it with pre-made crust because I never get pizza dough to work for me. I think a shredded cheese might have worked better. The slices of beef and slices of cheese kept sliding around the pizza in an awkward way.