Mushroom, Seitan, and Avocado Summer Rolls
with peanut dipping sauce
It takes a little practice to get the hang of making summer rolls, but you'll have time tonight since the ingredients for the filling were cooked earlier in the week. Once you have this fresh meal mastered, you'll be eating it all summer long!
Peanut Dipping Sauce:
- Peanut butter - 1/3 cup (sub any nut butter)
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Sriracha (opt) - 1 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Water - 3 Tbsp
Mushroom, Seitan, and Avocado Summer Rolls:
- Carrots - 5 oz , matchsticks (look for pre-shredded)
- Mint, fresh - 8 leaves , leaves torn
- Avocados - 1 , thinly sliced
- Vietnamese Mushrooms and Seitan (leftover from Monday) - ~3 1/2 cups
- Cooked Rice Vermicelli Noodles (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Rice papers - 16 (look for these in the ethnic aisle)
- Make dipping sauce - Whisk together peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, and sriracha. Add water a bit at a time until sauce reaches a smooth, pourable consistency. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots (if not pre-shredded) - Slice into matchsticks. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mint / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Fill a frying pan with about 1 1/2” / 3.75 cm of water. Heat water over medium-low heat - it shouldn't be so hot that you can’t touch it.
- If seitan and mushrooms are in large pieces, roughly chop so they fit more easily in rolls.
- Drain water off noodles.
- Dip rice paper into warm water and rotate through water (check out this video to see how we keep the rice paper from sticking). Place onto a clean counter or cutting board. Do 4 at a time and then assemble 4 rolls.
- To assemble rolls, layer noodles, mint, seitan, mushrooms, carrots, and avocados at the end of the rice paper that is closest to you. Don’t overfill or the paper will break. Fold rice paper over the filling from the bottom up. Then fold sides over. Roll as tightly as possible (Again, check out the this video for tips).
- Give dipping sauce a stir. If it was made ahead, it may have thickened up, so add water a small amount at a time until it reaches a smooth, pourable consistency.
- Repeat until you have no more filling.
- Serve summer rolls with dipping sauce!