Chicken and Avocado Summer Rollswith peanut dipping sauce
It takes a little practice to get the hang of making summer rolls, but you'll have time tonight since the ingredients for the filling were cooked earlier in the week. Once you have this fresh meal mastered, you'll be eating it all summer long!
- Peanut butter - 1/3 cup (sub any nut butter)
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Sriracha (opt) - 1 tsp (sub hot sauce)
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Carrots - 5 oz, matchsticks (look for pre-shredded)
- Mint, fresh - 8 leaves, leaves torn
- Avocados - 1, thinly sliced
- Vietnamese Chicken (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Cooked Rice Vermicelli Noodles (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Rice papers - 16 (look for these in the ethnic aisle)
- Make dipping sauce - Whisk together peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, and sriracha. Add water a bit at a time until sauce reaches a smooth, pourable consistency. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots (if not pre-shredded) - Slice into matchsticks. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mint / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Fill a frying pan with about 1 1/2” / 3.75 cm of water. Heat water over medium-low heat - it shouldn't be so hot that you can’t touch it.
- If chicken is in large pieces, roughly chop it so it will fit more easily in rolls.
- Drain water off noodles.
- Dip rice paper into warm water and rotate through water (check out this video to see how we keep the rice paper from sticking). Place onto a clean counter or cutting board. Do 4 at a time and then assemble 4 rolls.
- To assemble rolls, layer noodles, mint, chicken, carrots, and avocados at the end of the rice paper that is closest to you. Don’t overfill or the paper will break. Fold rice paper over the filling from the bottom up. Then fold sides over. Roll as tightly as possible (Again, check out the this video for tips).
- Give dipping sauce a stir. If it was made ahead, it may have thickened up, so add water a small amount at a time until it reaches a smooth, pourable consistency.
- Repeat until you have no more filling.
- Serve summer rolls with dipping sauce!
This meal has 29 reviews
Time consuming assembly but nice not to cook really. Great flavors and packable too. Happened to need a picnic this week and these worked!
Delicious! Only issue is that you can’t sub spaghetti for the noodles (recommended from Monday’s salad)
Kids really liked making and eating these. The video was super helpful- we would not have been able to make the wraps successfully without it. The wraps themselves were a little dry for my husband and I- adding some lettuce or cucumbers would help. We ended up rolling the wraps in romaine lettuce leafs.
Wow, we also loved this! The rolls were so much easier to make than we expected. The sauce was a bit too "peanut butter-y" for us so we adjusted some of the ratios and it was better. We also needed some extra sauce, so keep that in mind!
I struggled with wrapping the rolls - I got the first two way too wet but after that I figured it out. I would have liked it better without the mint, but it was too late to take it out. Should have made extra sauce!
Very easy and super tasty. The paleo version of the sauce was great - we left out the honey and used chili garlic hot sauce instead of sriracha.