Mashed Chickpea Melt with Tomatoes
and green salad
Don't tell the omnivores - but we may love this vegetarian take on tuna salad even more than the original! Made with mashed chickpeas, this salad is quick with classic flavors.
Smarts: This chickpea salad is highly customizable, so add more mayo, pickles, shallots, lemon juice or even some red pepper flakes if you'd like.
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Pickles, any type (opt) - 1 Tbsp, chopped (sub pickle relish)
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, thinly sliced
- Bread, sandwich - 8 slices
- Cheese, provolone - 4 slices (sub any sliced cheese)
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Lemon zest - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Snap peas, fresh - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Radishes - 5, halved and sliced
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Shallots / Pickles - (If prepping right before cooking, turn on the broiler before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together lemon juice (portion for vinaigrette), mustard, honey, and lemon zest. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make chickpea salad - Drain and rinse beans. Transfer to a mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork. To beans, add shallots, pickles, mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice (portion for chickpeas). If you would like it to be creamier, add some additional mayonnaise. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Snap peas / Radishes / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler (use the low setting if available). Place an oven rack at least 6” / 15 cm from the heat source.
- Place bread in a single layer on a sheet pan.
- Slide pan under broiler until bread is lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Top toasted bread with chickpea salad and sliced tomato. Tear cheese in half and top each piece of bread with 1/2 a slice of cheese. Slide pan back under the broiler and continue toasting until cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Just before serving, combine snap peas, radishes, and mixed greens in a large mixing bowl. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Toss everything to combine. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chickpea melts with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Great tuna melt! We used way more mayo, but otherwise mostly followed recipe. Also didn't make salad.0 Helpful
This is a solid tuna melt. The shallots really make it, plus we had homemade pickles for some extra kick. Yummy and simple.0 Helpful
Husband loved this meal but the rest of the family wasn't sold.0 Helpful
Simple and tasty. Not a showstopper, but good.0 Helpful
This was really easy and was not something I would typically think to make for dinner.0 Helpful
So quick and easy!0 Helpful