Tuna Melt with Tomatoesand green salad
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Pickles, any type (opt) - 1 Tbsp, chopped (sub pickle relish)
- Tuna, in water (5 oz / 142 g) - 3 cans, drained
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, thinly sliced
- Bread, sandwich - 8 slices
- Cheese, provolone - 4 slices (sub any sliced cheese)
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Lemon zest - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Snap peas, fresh - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Radishes - 5, halved and sliced
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Shallots / Pickles - (If prepping right before cooking, turn on the broiler before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together lemon juice (portion for vinaigrette), mustard, honey, and lemon zest. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make tuna salad - Drain tuna. Combine shallots, pickles, tuna, mayonnaise, and lemon juice (portion for tuna). If you like your tuna salad creamier, add some additional mayonnaise. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Snap peas / Radishes / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler (use the low setting if available). Place an oven rack at least 6” / 15 cm from the heat source.
- Place bread in a single layer on a sheet pan.
- Slide pan under broiler until bread is lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Top toasted bread with tuna salad and sliced tomato. Tear cheese in half and top each piece of bread with 1/2 a slice of cheese. Slide pan back under the broiler and continue toasting until cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Just before serving, combine snap peas, radishes, and mixed greens in a large mixing bowl. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Toss everything to combine. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve tuna melts with salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 22 reviews
This is a solid tuna melt. The shallots really make it, plus we had homemade pickles for some extra kick. Yummy and simple.
Husband loved this meal but the rest of the family wasn't sold.
Simple and tasty. Not a showstopper, but good.
This was really easy and was not something I would typically think to make for dinner.
So quick and easy!
I love how convenient this one is - will definitely eat it again. I didn't like the tomato on it so I sliced it up and ate it on the side.