Vietnamese Salad with Marinated Mushrooms and Chicken
with lime dressing
Vietnamese salads are distinctive for their clean, fresh flavors and the light, tart dressings that gather in the bottom of the bowl. This version, which is a favorite of our community members, includes marinated chicken and cashews for a one-bowl dinner that packs tons of flavor!
Smarts: We've given you all of the instructions in tonight's meal to make the chicken and mushrooms you need for two nights. Just make sure that you set half of those elements aside for Wednesday's lettuce wraps.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 4 Tbsp
- Limes - 2, juice of
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 2 lbs, thinly sliced
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 4 Tbsp
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4, stems removed; thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Carrots - 5 oz, matchsticks (look for pre-shredded)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, matchsticks
- Lettuce, green - 10 oz, chopped
- Mint, fresh - 8 leaves, chopped
- Vietnamese Chicken and Mushrooms (ingredients listed separately) - ~3 1/2 cups
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Marinate chicken - (This makes enough for 2 nights.) Thinly slice chicken. Combine honey (portion for chicken) and aminos and pour over chicken. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make dressing - Chop garlic. Grate ginger. Combine garlic, ginger, honey (portion for dressing), vinegar, fish sauce, lime juice, water, and red pepper flakes (if using). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots (if not pre-shredded) / Cucumbers / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. Combine carrots and cucumbers. Store mushrooms separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Mint - Prep as directed.
- Drain marinade off chicken (discard marinade). Season chicken with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a wok or saute pan over medium heat. Add first part of oil and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms are tender and golden brown, ~4 minutes. Season with some salt and set mushrooms aside.
- Return pan to heat and add second part of oil. Add chicken to heated oil. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Before assembling bowls, reserve half the chicken and mushrooms for Wednesday night.
- Assemble salads by combining lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, mushrooms, and chicken in serving bowls. Whisk dressing and pour over salad. Toss everything to combine. Top with mint and cashews. Enjoy!
So good! My kid gave this “a 10 out of five!” We did add cilantro. Plop some sriracha or sliced fresh jalapeño to raise the spice level.0 Helpful
Really good. I used green cabbage instead of lettuce.0 Helpful
Used mock duck. So good!0 Helpful
This was a bit of a production for a salad, but delicious nonetheless. Be sure to include the fresh mint--it really completes the salad.1 Helpful
Great meal and flavors!0 Helpful
So good! I loved the way all the different flavors and textures came together. I was a little scared about the amount of fish sauce in the dressing, but I decided to give it a go as written and am glad I did - it was a bit overpowering on its own, but great when mixed in with everything and the lime flavor really came through as well.0 Helpful