Mulligatawny Soup with Chicken
and leftover rice
We used feedback from our community to update this mild curry soup that was first featured in 2018. This soup is extremely unique thanks to a combination an Indian spice blend and a hint of sweet-tart flavor from apples. This version includes potatoes for extra heartiness and coconut milk for creaminess.
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Curry powder, yellow and mild - 1 Tbsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , chopped
- Apples, medium - 1 , peeled and chopped (preferably a tart green variety)
- Potatoes, russet - 12 oz , peeled and cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 4 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Coconut milk, light - 1/2 cup
- Cooked basmati rice (leftover from Wednesday) - 1 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Onions / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine curry powder, garam masala, and turmeric. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces. Tenderize with a fork and season lightly with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Apples / Potatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then chicken to heated oil. Saute until lightly brown and just cooked through. Set aside and return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add butter to pan. When butter melts, add onions and carrots. Saute, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add spice mix to vegetables and cook for 1 minute to lightly toast the spices.
- Add chicken back to pan. Add stock, apples, potatoes, and bay leaves. Bring soup to a simmer.
- Simmer until potatoes are tender, ~20 minutes. (If the soup starts to boil reduce heat.)
- Stir coconut milk and cooked rice into soup and simmer for 1 minute to heat through.
- Taste and season soup with some salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves.
- Serve soup with yogurt on top. Enjoy!