Tofu and Asparagus Stir-Fry
with rice / coconut lime smoothie
Cubed tofu and asparagus combine in this stir-fry that is quick and satisfying. The sauce has a bit of hoisin sauce to give it a balance of spice and sweetness.
- Water - 1 3/4 cups
- Rice, basmati - 1 cup (sub regular rice but follow cooking instructions for regular rice)
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Asparagus - 10 oz, trimmed and chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Hoisin sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Water - 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Chives - 1 tsp, chopped
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Bananas - 1
- Ice - 2 cups
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cook rice - (This makes enough for two nights.) Fill a saucepan with water (portion for rice) and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then add rice. Bring to a simmer, cover, turn heat down to low and cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid, 15 to 18 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Asparagus / Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed. Store asparagus in one container. Combine garlic and ginger in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, ginger, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, first part of water (portion for stir-fry), toasted sesame oil, honey, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chives - Chop chives.
- Make slurry - Whisk together second part of water and cornstarch.
- Make smoothie - Combine coconut milk, bananas, ice, yogurt, and lime juice in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add tofu and saute until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add asparagus and continue cooking until asparagus is tender, ~4 minutes more.
- Add sauce to stir-fry. Give slurry a stir and add it to stir-fry. Simmer until sauce thickens, ~2 minutes more.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve 1 cup / 158 g for Thursday; amount for 4 servings, adjust if customizing.)
- Serve stir-fry over rice with chives on top. Enjoy smoothie on the side.
Reminds me of my mother-in-law's cooking (she's taiwanese)0 Helpful
Quick and easy. I used chicken as I didn't have pork on hand.0 Helpful
I didn't make the smoothie, but this was boring without it.0 Helpful
The stir-fry was surprisingly delicious and easy to make. The smoothie was just OK.0 Helpful
Super good meal. I think the basmati rice and asparagus was a nice change from the norm.0 Helpful
I liked this! Been in a cooking-rut lately, and the stir-frys always get me back in the game. This one was simple, filling, and tasty. Enjoyed the combo! Slice your pork very thin. Almost as thin as the asparagus. Skipped the smoothie though for less dishes to clean up.0 Helpful