Pork and Asparagus Stir-Fry with rice / coconut lime smoothie
Slice pork chops into thin strips for a stir-fry that cooks fast and is super satisfying.
Smarts: The sauce for this stir-fry can be made with oyster sauce or hoisin sauce. Oyster sauce will give it a rich savory flavor while hoisin will add a bit more sweetness.
- Water - 1 3/4 cups
- Rice, basmati - 1 cup (sub regular rice but follow cooking instructions for regular rice)
- Pork chops, boneless - 1 lb, thinly sliced
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Asparagus - 10 oz, trimmed and chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Oyster sauce - 1 Tbsp (sub Hoisin sauce)
- Water - 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Chives - 1 tsp, chopped
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Bananas - 1
- Ice - 2 cups
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Cook rice - (This makes enough for two nights.) Fill a saucepan with water (portion for rice) and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then add rice. Bring to a simmer, cover, turn heat down to low and cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid, 15 to 18 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate pork - Thinly slice pork chops (the thinner you slice them, the faster they will cook). Combine with first part of soy sauce and rice vinegar. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Asparagus / Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed. Store asparagus in one container. Combine garlic and ginger in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, ginger, oyster sauce, second part of soy sauce, first part of water (portion for stir-fry), toasted sesame oil, honey, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chives - Chop chives.
- Make slurry - Whisk together second part of water and cornstarch.
- Make smoothie - Combine coconut milk, bananas, ice, yogurt, and lime juice in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and saute for 3 minutes.
- Drain marinade off pork (discard marinade) and add pork to asparagus. Stir-fry until golden brown on the outside and nearly cooked through, ~5 minutes.
- Add sauce to stir-fry. Give slurry a stir and add it to stir-fry. Simmer until sauce thickens, ~2 minutes more.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve 1 cup / 158 g for Thursday; amount for 4 servings, adjust if customizing.)
- Serve stir-fry over rice with chives on top. Enjoy smoothie on the side.
This meal has 37 reviews
My family loved this meal! I made it with the hoisin sauce and found it very flavorful and delicious! My 8 year old even asked for seconds!
Contrary to some reviews, I actually found it very flavorful. Used more asparagus, which was excellent, and helped balance out the meal.
This gets 5 stars for being easy and my kids liking it. It needed a bit more flavor in my book (so I added hot sauce) but the kids loved it. I added mushrooms, broccoli and extra asp because it shrunk down a lot. It took less than 30 min to make and I like how the sauce thickens up when you add the cornstarch.
It was fine. No body was wow at home.
Added snap peas, some chili garlic sauce, and honey in the smoothie. Simple, easy.
Four stars for husband and I (lacking one element and smoothie was so-so) But FIVE stars because picky-eater-toddler loved it! I chopped the meat and veggies super fine and mixed it with the rice and he gobbled it up! It felt like such a win!