Steak with Blue Cheese Butter
and roasted fingerling potatoes / green beans
Smarts: Compound butters can be frozen for up to a few months. Use them to add flavor to finished meats (as in this recipe) or to add richness to soup, roasted vegetables, or toast.
Smarts: Tonight's vegetables should be roasted in the oven, but feel free to fire up the grill as well if you prefer to cook your steaks that way.
- Steak, NY Strip - 1 1/2 lbs (sub beef tenderloin steaks or other cut of choice)
- Tamari - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Cheese, blue - 2 oz, crumbled (sub feta or goat cheese)
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Green beans - 12 oz, trimmed
- Chives - 1 tsp, chopped
- Potatoes, fingerling - 1 lb, halved lengthwise (sub any small potato)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Marinate steak - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven or grill heating while steak marinates.) Tenderize steak with a fork and combine with Tamari, vinegar, and lemon juice. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make blue cheese butter - Melt butter in the microwave. Stir in crumbled blue cheese and thyme. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green Beans - Trim green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chives / Potatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss potatoes with first portion of olive oil and season with some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan and roast until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Toss green beans with second portion of olive oil and add to sheet pan with potatoes after potatoes have been cooking for 10 minutes.
- While vegetables roast, remove steak from marinade (discard marinade). Season generously with some salt and pepper.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F / 260C. Clean grates and brush with some cooking oil. Add steak to heated grill. Grill steak for ~3 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Continue cooking until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If cooking on the stovetop: Heat up a grill pan over high heat. Brush with some cooking oil and add steak. Sear steak on both sides. Continue cooking until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- Remove steak from heat and transfer to a serving plate. Let steak rest, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes.
- When potatoes and green beans are done roasting, toss with chives.
- While steak is still warm, spoon blue cheese butter over top.
- Serve steak with potatoes and green beans on the side. Enjoy!
This was sooo good actually turned this into a steak sandwich and added some onions and peppers turned out great!0 Helpful
The bleu cheese butter is so good! I forgot to marinate, but we grilled the steak and it was very flavorful anyway, especially with the topping.0 Helpful
Absolutely delish!0 Helpful
This was crazy good. I thought I don't like lentils. Then I put this blue cheese butter on them...maybe I love them0 Helpful
What's not to love about steak and butter!? I added sautéed mushrooms. It was an easy meal.0 Helpful
This was delicious but the blue cheese butter came out very salty!0 Helpful