Avocado Toast with Fried Egg
with butterhead lettuce salad
Avocado toast has gone from trend to classic, but it never gets old as a quick weeknight meal. This version, topped with a fried egg for a protein-rich dinner, was reviewed as being quick and easy when we first featured it in 2016.
Smarts: Za'atar adds a great final layer of flavor if you're looking to mix things up!
- Avocados - 2, mashed
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Bread, sandwich - 4 slices
- Za'atar (opt) - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Pecan halves - 1/4 cup
- Chives - 1 tsp, chopped
- Mayonnaise - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Pears - 1, sliced
- Lettuce, butterhead - 1 head, leaves torn (sub green leaf)
- Cheese, blue - 3 oz, crumbled (sub feta or goat cheese)
- Toast pecans - Toast pecan halves in a dry pan or skillet, stirring frequently until fragrant, about 3 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Chop chives. Whisk chives with mayonnaise, mustard, honey, and lemon juice (portion for salad). Slowly add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pears / Lettuce - Prep as directed and combine.
- Mash avocados with lemon juice (portion for toast). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat cooking oil in a nonstick pan. Crack eggs into oil and fry to desired doneness (cook on one side for sunny-side up, or flip and cook on both sides).
- Toast bread.
- Spread mashed avocado on sliced bread and top with fried eggs. Season eggs with some salt and pepper. Add za’atar, if using.
- Toss pears, lettuce, pecans, and crumbled blue cheese with half the vinaigrette. Add remaining vinaigrette until salad is dressed to your liking.
- Serve avocado toast with hot sauce on top if you’d like. Enjoy with salad on the side.
Easy! I loved the kick from the za'atar, and the salad dressing.0 Helpful
Amazing! I didn't make the salad. I had some artichokes I served it with that I needed to cook up.0 Helpful
Okay, my family is a bit tired of sweet potatoes. Worried they wouldn’t eat it, I also made sweet potatoes with sausage rounds (which was everyone’s favorite) and one piece of avo toast bread per person (second favorite). Sweet potato toast was least favorite of group.0 Helpful
Honestly, I'm only reviewing the salad, even just the dressing at that! haha! I made the toast for breakfast, but without the egg, so it was just a mashed up avocado on toast - not much to review (but delicious!) I made the salad dressing and put it on a butter lettuce & berry salad (blackberries, raspberries & strawberries). It was great. This dressing is definitely going on the keeper list!0 Helpful
Simple and flavorful. I wouldn't have thought to use zaatar here, so that was a fun addition. The dressing was a bit on the sweet side, so I'll cut the honey next time I make this.0 Helpful
Didn’t care for the salad but then again I forgot the goat cheese. The avocado toast was delicious. Husband needed 3 of his own piece. I used 4 small avocados to feed 3 adults and 1 child.0 Helpful