Mushroom and Sausage Frittata
with pesto / marinated summer vegetables
Top this mushroom and sausage frittata with fresh pesto for a simple but flavorful dinner that was first featured in May 2017. Serve the frittata with marinated summer vegetables on the side.
Marinated Summer Vegetables:
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , chopped
- Cucumbers - 10 oz , chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 2 , diced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
Mushroom and Sausage Frittata:
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4 , stems removed, chopped
- Eggs - 8 , whisked
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Sausage, Italian and raw (use mild or spicy) - 12 oz
- Pesto (leftover from Monday) - ~6 Tbsp
- Bell peppers / Cucumbers - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Portobello mushrooms - Remove stems and chop mushrooms into small pieces. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Dice tomatoes.
- Eggs - Whisk with salt and pepper.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- While oven heats, whisk together balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Add bell peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Toss everything to combine. Season with some salt and pepper. Refrigerate vegetables until ready to serve.
- Heat up a skillet over medium heat. Add in cooking oil and then mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sausage and saute, breaking apart until sausage is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Pour in eggs. Stir to combine everything and then transfer to oven. Cook for 18 to 22 minutes, until a knife comes out cleanly.
- Slice frittata and serve with pesto spooned over top. Enjoy with marinated summer vegetables on the side.