Pesto and White Bean Bruschettawith asparagus
Fresh flavors make this quick weeknight meal a great one for spring.
Smarts: This meal includes a recipe for a batch of pesto, but you'll only need a small amount to serve over the bruschetta. Save the rest of the pesto for later in the week.
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp, sub walnuts
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz
- Basil, fresh - 1 1/2 oz
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, diced
- Baguette - 1, sliced
- Beans, cannellini (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed (sub any white beans)
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
- Basil pesto (ingredients listed separately) - 3 Tbsp
- Asparagus - 10 oz, trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Make pesto - (This makes enough for 2 nights. If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Toast nuts in a dry skillet or frying pan until fragrant and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Peel garlic cloves (portion for pesto). Place nuts, garlic, parmesan cheese (if using), basil leaves, and lemon juice (portion for pesto) in a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are well chopped. With food processor running, drizzle in olive oil (portion for pesto) until smooth. (Add some additional olive oil if needed to help everything blend.) Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Asparagus - Trim asparagus. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Chop tomatoes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Baguette - Slice baguette into 1" / 2.5 cm slices.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Spread asparagus out on a sheet pan and toss with cooking oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Roast until asparagus is tender, 12 to 15 minutes (depending on thickness of spears).
- Spread baguette slices out on a second sheet pan. Brush the tops with olive oil (portion for bruschetta). Peel garlic cloves (portion for bruschetta) and rub the top of each baguette slice with garlic (this will give the bread a subtle garlic flavor). Transfer baguette to oven and roast until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- While baguette is toasting, combine portion of pesto for bruschetta (reserve remaining pesto for Wednesday) with tomatoes, and beans. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Squeeze lemon juice (portion for asparagus) over asparagus.
- Spoon bean and tomato topping over baguette slices. Serve with asparagus on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 40 reviews
First time cooking salmon and it turned out great! The butter pesto was amazing!
Easy, simple salmon dish with so much flavor from that pesto butter! The only thing I would change is that I would bake the asparagus rather than pan fry.
Pesto butter was awesome. We really enjoyed this meal
The butter topping was really delicious! I couldn't figure out how many leaves 1 1/2 oz of basil was, so based on other recipes I found online I ended up using roughly 2 cups of basil. I had to add a lot of salt and pepper plus some extra lemon juice to the pesto, but it turned out great.
Wow. Need I say more?
I cut the asparagus into smaller, bite-sized pieces, and ate the whole thing mixed together. It was really, really good.