Kimchi Fried Quinoa
with bell peppers / coleslaw mix / fried egg
- Gochujang, Korean chili sauce - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Kimchi - 1/2 cup, chopped (check the ingredients list if you don't eat fish as many versions of kimchi include it)
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, leaves chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Carrots, pre-shredded - 5 oz
- Cooked quinoa (leftover from Monday) - ~ 2 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Pickling liquid (from jar of kimchi) - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Eggs - 4
- Bell peppers / Garlic / Kimchi - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make aioli - Stir together gochujang, honey, and mayonnaise. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Limes / Mushrooms / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil. To heated oil add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are tender, ~5 minutes. Add bell peppers, coleslaw mix, and carrots and saute until tender, ~2 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa, kimchi, garlic, soy sauce, and pickling liquid. Let quinoa cook without stirring for 1 minute to let it crisp a bit on the bottom of the pan. Stir everything together until quinoa is heated through.
- Remove quinoa from heat and stir in toasted sesame oil. Top with cilantro. Cover pan to keep warm.
- Heat a nonstick pan with second part of cooking oil. Crack eggs into heated oil and fry until cooked to your liking (on one side for sunny-side up or flip for over-easy.)
- Serve quinoa with fried eggs and aioli on top. Squeeze lime wedges over everything. Enjoy!
Loved this one. No mushrooms but I don’t think it made a difference.0 Helpful
We left out the kimchi because I don’t really like it, and it was outstanding. My 1.5 year old ate almost as much as I did! The chicken with the sticky glaze was outstanding.0 Helpful
The sauce is so good and my husband liked the rice even though he doesn't really care for mushrooms or kimchi. The chicken was so juicy and delicious too with this cooking technique.0 Helpful
This was pretty fantastic flavor and super easy to make. The soy sauce marinade made the chicken super tender and flavorful. the kimchi in the rice add perfect flavor. I made 2 batches of rice, with and without in case the kids found it too much.0 Helpful
yummy, easy to make0 Helpful
loved the chicken. added a lot more soy sauce in the rice and used the extra sauce from the chicken to give the rice a kick.0 Helpful