Korean Glazed Chicken Thighswith kimchi fried rice
We have featured versions of kimchi fried rice as a main dish in the past, but this time it's sharing the spotlight with sweet and spicy glazed chicken thighs.
Smarts: If you like spice, be sure to serve extra gochujang chili sauce on the side - it's great for dipping the chicken and for topping the fried rice.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Tamari - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Gochujang, Korean chili sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Kimchi - 1/2 cup, chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, leaves chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Carrots, pre-shredded - 5 oz
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - ~ 1 1/2 cups
- Tamari - 1 Tbsp
- Pickling liquid (from jar of kimchi) - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Garlic / Kimchi - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Combine garlic, first part of cooking oil, Tamari, and toasted sesame oil (portions for chicken). Add chicken and toss to coat. Tenderize chicken with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make glaze - Stir together gochujang and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Limes / Mushrooms / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet with second part of cooking oil (portion for chicken) over medium-high heat. Sear chicken on both sides until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes total. Brush the top of each chicken thigh with glaze. Transfer to oven and roast for 15 to 25 minutes (depending on the thickness of chicken thighs), until chicken reaches 165F / 74C degrees.
- While chicken cooks, heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil (portion for fried rice). To heated oil add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are tender, ~5 minutes. Add coleslaw mix and carrots and saute until tender, ~2 minutes.
- Stir in rice, kimchi, Tamari (portion for fried rice), and pickling liquid. Let rice cook without stirring for 1 minute to let it crisp a bit on the bottom of the pan. Stir everything together until rice is heated through.
- Remove rice from heat and stir in toasted sesame oil (portion for fried rice). Top with cilantro.
- Serve chicken with fried rice on the side. Squeeze lime wedges over chicken and rice. You can serve some extra gochujang on the side to top the rice if you’d like. Enjoy!
This meal has 37 reviews
We left out the kimchi because I don’t really like it, and it was outstanding. My 1.5 year old ate almost as much as I did! The chicken with the sticky glaze was outstanding.
The sauce is so good and my husband liked the rice even though he doesn't really care for mushrooms or kimchi. The chicken was so juicy and delicious too with this cooking technique.
This was pretty fantastic flavor and super easy to make. The soy sauce marinade made the chicken super tender and flavorful. the kimchi in the rice add perfect flavor. I made 2 batches of rice, with and without in case the kids found it too much.
yummy, easy to make
loved the chicken. added a lot more soy sauce in the rice and used the extra sauce from the chicken to give the rice a kick.
So delicious! Wouldn’t make more than 4 servings as I would have ran out of room in my wok