Korean Glazed Chicken Thighs
with kimchi fried rice
We have featured versions of kimchi fried rice as a main dish in the past, but this time it's sharing the spotlight with sweet and spicy glazed chicken thighs.
Smarts: If you like spice, be sure to serve extra gochujang chili sauce on the side - it's great for dipping the chicken and for topping the fried rice.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Gochujang, Korean chili sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Kimchi - 1/2 cup, chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, leaves chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Carrots, pre-shredded - 5 oz
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - ~ 1 1/2 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Pickling liquid (from jar of kimchi) - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Garlic / Kimchi - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Combine garlic, first part of cooking oil, soy sauce, and toasted sesame oil (portions for chicken). Add chicken and toss to coat. Tenderize chicken with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make glaze - Stir together gochujang and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Limes / Mushrooms / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet with second part of cooking oil (portion for chicken) over medium-high heat. Sear chicken on both sides until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes total. Brush the top of each chicken thigh with glaze. Transfer to oven and roast for 15 to 25 minutes (depending on the thickness of chicken thighs), until chicken reaches 165F / 74C degrees.
- While chicken cooks, heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil (portion for fried rice). To heated oil add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are tender, ~5 minutes. Add coleslaw mix and carrots and saute until tender, ~2 minutes.
- Stir in rice, kimchi, soy sauce (portion for fried rice), and pickling liquid. Let rice cook without stirring for 1 minute to let it crisp a bit on the bottom of the pan. Stir everything together until rice is heated through.
- Remove rice from heat and stir in toasted sesame oil (portion for fried rice). Top with cilantro.
- Serve chicken with fried rice on the side. Squeeze lime wedges over chicken and rice. You can serve some extra gochujang on the side to top the rice if you’d like. Enjoy!
This was delicious!!! Restaurant quality!!0 Helpful
Best chicken ever.0 Helpful
Seriously tasty. Added more gochujang to the aioli, and will add more soy sauce to the quinoa mix next time (wasn’t sure how much saltiness the aioli would impart). We’ll definitely make this one again.0 Helpful
This was DELICIOUS and easy! A double winner. One of my favorites CS meals so far and will definitely be making again.0 Helpful
Super tasty, and pretty easy to make. Will definitely make the chicken again - it will be great for when we’re grilling this summer!0 Helpful
Loved this one. Followed the instructions as written and it turned out great.0 Helpful