Banh Mi Tofu Tacos
with pickled vegetables / pineapple smoothie
Even community members who weren't tofu fans said they loved the flavorful tofu that filled these tacos when they were first featured in 2017.
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz, cubed
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Ketchup - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub hot sauce of choice)
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Carrots, pre-shredded - 5 oz
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Pineapple, frozen cubes - 12 oz
- Bananas - 2
- Coconut water - 1 cup (sub water or fruit juice)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Slice into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make sauce - Chop garlic. Whisk together garlic, ketchup, soy sauce, honey, vinegar (portion for tofu), and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make pickled vegetables - Toss together coleslaw mix, shredded carrots, vinegar (portion for the vegetables), and sugar. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make smoothies - Blend pineapple, bananas, and coconut water in a blender until smooth. Add some additional coconut water, water, or juice a bit at a time if needed to get a smooth consistency.
- Heat a wok or nonstick pan with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and saute until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Pour sauce over tofu and simmer until sauce thickens and coats tofu, ~2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sesame seeds.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, Sriracha, and juice from one lime wedge. Taste and add more Sriracha if you'd like it spicier.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Assemble tacos by filling tortillas with pickled vegetables and tofu. Top with cilantro and Sriracha mayonnaise. Serve with extra lime wedges and smoothies on the side. Enjoy!
These are in a regular rotation in our house, I make them with tempeh rather than tofu, we're suckers for a good taco with sriracha mayo0 Helpful
We thought these needed more sauce. They were better with rice than tortillas, but that might’ve been because our tortillas weren’t very good.0 Helpful
My husband doesn’t like tofu normally but loved this.0 Helpful
Made it into a salad. Was delicious!0 Helpful
Easy, tasty, good lunch the next day. Wasn't as big a fan of the smoothie - but that's probably because I make my own all the time and know exactly what I like.0 Helpful
I actually made this into rice bowls instead of tacos, and it works really well. It's very tasty.0 Helpful