Banh Mi Tofu Tacos
with pickled vegetables / pineapple smoothie
Even community members who weren't tofu fans said they loved the flavorful tofu that filled these tacos when they were first featured in 2017.
Smarts: If you're not up for trying tofu, chopped chicken or beef would be great substitutes.
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz, cubed (sub chicken breast, ground turkey, or pork for a non-veg version)
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Ketchup - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub hot sauce of choice)
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Carrots, pre-shredded - 5 oz
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Pineapple, frozen cubes - 12 oz
- Bananas - 2
- Coconut water - 1 cup (sub water or fruit juice)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Slice into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make sauce - Chop garlic. Whisk together garlic, ketchup, soy sauce, honey, vinegar (portion for tofu), and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make pickled vegetables - Toss together coleslaw mix, shredded carrots, vinegar (portion for the vegetables), and sugar. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make smoothies - Blend pineapple, bananas, and coconut water in a blender until smooth. Add some additional coconut water, water, or juice a bit at a time if needed to get a smooth consistency.
- Heat a wok or nonstick pan with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and saute until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Pour sauce over tofu and simmer until sauce thickens and coats tofu, ~2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sesame seeds.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, Sriracha, and juice from one lime wedge. Taste and add more Sriracha if you'd like it spicier.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Assemble tacos by filling tortillas with pickled vegetables and tofu. Top with cilantro and Sriracha mayonnaise. Serve with extra lime wedges and smoothies on the side. Enjoy!
Really liked it! I think I’d pickle the slaw more next time. Didn’t have coconut water and wanted something more filling so I used milk in the smoothie and it’s sooooo good. The tortillas were a little much, so I have to find an alternative. Could've used a little more flavor for me. Tofu was very tasty.0 Helpful
This was so good!! Instead of tacos we did rice bowls and also did not pickle the slaw and it was SO GOOD. In all time favorite0 Helpful
We added plenty more vinegar to the veggies— we like them real pickled! The tacos were pretty good but we agreed that it was missing something. The sauce was definitely our favorite part.0 Helpful
So good. Love the sauce added to the tofu. I did have to add more rice vinegar to the veggies since it seemed too bland and dry. Will try with lettuce wraps too. Did not make the smoothie though.0 Helpful
Great flavors- subbed ground turkey and maple syrup0 Helpful
Always a favorite!0 Helpful