Banh Mi Tofu Tacoswith pickled vegetables / pineapple smoothie
Even community members who weren't tofu fans said they loved the flavorful tofu that filled these tacos when they were first featured in 2017.
Smarts: If you're not up for trying tofu, chopped chicken or beef would be great substitutes.
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz, cubed (sub chicken breast, ground turkey, or pork for a non-veg version)
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Ketchup - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub hot sauce of choice)
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Carrots, pre-shredded - 5 oz
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Pineapple, frozen cubes - 12 oz
- Bananas - 2
- Coconut water - 1 cup (sub water or fruit juice)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Slice into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make sauce - Chop garlic. Whisk together garlic, ketchup, soy sauce, honey, vinegar (portion for tofu), and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make pickled vegetables - Toss together coleslaw mix, shredded carrots, vinegar (portion for the vegetables), and sugar. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make smoothies - Blend pineapple, bananas, and coconut water in a blender until smooth. Add some additional coconut water, water, or juice a bit at a time if needed to get a smooth consistency.
- Heat a wok or nonstick pan with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and saute until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Pour sauce over tofu and simmer until sauce thickens and coats tofu, ~2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sesame seeds.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, Sriracha, and juice from one lime wedge. Taste and add more Sriracha if you'd like it spicier.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Assemble tacos by filling tortillas with pickled vegetables and tofu. Top with cilantro and Sriracha mayonnaise. Serve with extra lime wedges and smoothies on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 29 reviews
Tasted great. Definitely best to let the "pickled vegetables" sit overnight.
Usually the word Tofu immediately scares my wife away, but she loved this.
Loved the pickled carrots
Made it with chicken. Toddler ate it up! Quick and easy.
I’m so glad to find meatless recipes that we like! Before cooking the tofu, I tossed it with some cornstarch to help it get crispy and give it more texture. Served the tacos using tiny street taco tortillas. I think I should add more vinegar to the cabbage and carrots next time. I didn’t want to make the smoothie, so I made fruit salad with sweetened yogurt instead. Yum!
Really liked it! I think I’d pickle the slaw more next time. Didn’t have coconut water and wanted something more filling so I used milk in the smoothie and it’s sooooo good. The tortillas were a little much, so I have to find an alternative. Could've used a little more flavor for me. Tofu was very tasty.