Banh Mi Tofu Tacos
with pickled vegetables / pineapple smoothie
Even community members who weren't tofu fans said they loved the flavorful tofu that filled these tacos when they were first featured in 2017.
Smarts: If you're not up for trying tofu, chopped chicken or beef would be great substitutes.
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz, cubed (sub chicken breast, ground turkey, or pork for a non-veg version)
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Ketchup - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub hot sauce of choice)
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Carrots, pre-shredded - 5 oz
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Pineapple, frozen cubes - 12 oz
- Bananas - 2
- Coconut water - 1 cup (sub water or fruit juice)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Slice into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make sauce - Chop garlic. Whisk together garlic, ketchup, soy sauce, honey, vinegar (portion for tofu), and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make pickled vegetables - Toss together coleslaw mix, shredded carrots, vinegar (portion for the vegetables), and sugar. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make smoothies - Blend pineapple, bananas, and coconut water in a blender until smooth. Add some additional coconut water, water, or juice a bit at a time if needed to get a smooth consistency.
- Heat a wok or nonstick pan with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and saute until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Pour sauce over tofu and simmer until sauce thickens and coats tofu, ~2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sesame seeds.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, Sriracha, and juice from one lime wedge. Taste and add more Sriracha if you'd like it spicier.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Assemble tacos by filling tortillas with pickled vegetables and tofu. Top with cilantro and Sriracha mayonnaise. Serve with extra lime wedges and smoothies on the side. Enjoy!
The smoothie was great (I used coconut milk as the liquid), but there wasn’t enough flavor in the banh mi for my taste.0 Helpful
This was super easy and tasted great despite a bunch of missteps I had with my tofu (the short version is that there was too much moisture for it to brown and I accidentally put mayonnaise in the sauce). I am sure the smoothie would have been delicious but I didn't want to clean the blender, so I just had pineapple and orange juice on ice and I feel like that was close enough in spirit.0 Helpful
I started making this before realizing we were out of taco shells. I ended up putting it all over some quinoa and drizzling extra sriracha over it. Delicious! I used mango I had leftover instead of pineapple/banana for the smoothie and it was such a good pairing with the meal. I'll definitely try this again in taco form!0 Helpful
This was delicious, my favourite tofu recipe to date!0 Helpful
Totally amazing!!! easy we do cook a lot of tofu. this topped the charts!0 Helpful
Subbed beef. Good, but would probably do chicken next time. Didn't have ketchup, so I subbed tomato paste with a bit of sugar. Smoothie was nice and light, and a good compliment.0 Helpful