Banh Mi Tofu Tacos
with pickled vegetables / pineapple smoothie
Even community members who weren't tofu fans said they loved the flavorful tofu that filled these tacos when they were first featured in 2017.
Smarts: If you're not up for trying tofu, chopped chicken or beef would be great substitutes.
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz, cubed (sub chicken breast, ground turkey, or pork for a non-veg version)
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Ketchup - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub hot sauce of choice)
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Carrots, pre-shredded - 5 oz
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Pineapple, frozen cubes - 12 oz
- Bananas - 2
- Coconut water - 1 cup (sub water or fruit juice)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Slice into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make sauce - Chop garlic. Whisk together garlic, ketchup, soy sauce, honey, vinegar (portion for tofu), and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make pickled vegetables - Toss together coleslaw mix, shredded carrots, vinegar (portion for the vegetables), and sugar. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make smoothies - Blend pineapple, bananas, and coconut water in a blender until smooth. Add some additional coconut water, water, or juice a bit at a time if needed to get a smooth consistency.
- Heat a wok or nonstick pan with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and saute until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Pour sauce over tofu and simmer until sauce thickens and coats tofu, ~2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sesame seeds.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, Sriracha, and juice from one lime wedge. Taste and add more Sriracha if you'd like it spicier.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Assemble tacos by filling tortillas with pickled vegetables and tofu. Top with cilantro and Sriracha mayonnaise. Serve with extra lime wedges and smoothies on the side. Enjoy!
This was so hecka good. I did add coconut yogurt to the smoothie. Oh my yes. Also used chili garlic sauce instead of shriracha and still Soo good. Also, toasted the tofu in the oven for a while after cubing and before sauteing; very so good. I'm just real pleased with this dinner.0 Helpful
Pretty simple meal. This was the first time I made tofu that was tasty. I think it was the sauce and the extra firm tofu I found. Added a roasted sweet potato for a side starch.0 Helpful
Delicious & flavourful!! Lovedit0 Helpful
Delicious tofu meal! We used cucumbers instead of shredded carrots and subbed Greek yogurt for most of the mayo. Everyone enjoyed it - including our six-year-old.0 Helpful
We used chicken instead of tofu. Turned out so good!0 Helpful
We’ve made this before and it’s an absolute favorite of ours.0 Helpful