Sausage and Bell Pepper Hoagies
with Cajun broccoli
- Broccoli - 1 lb, florets chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 tsp
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, sliced
- Onions, medium red - 1, sliced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Sausage, Italian pre-cooked or smoked - 4 links, sliced
- Hoagie rolls - 4
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, provolone - 4 slices (sub Swiss)
- Turn on the oven’s broiler (use the low setting if available). Place an oven rack about 6” / 15 cm below the broiler.
- Slice open hoagie rolls and place cut-side up on a sheet pan. Soften butter in microwave and combine with garlic and Italian seasoning. Brush seasoned butter over tops of hoagie rolls. Broil hoagie rolls until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for hoagies) and then sausage, peppers, and onions.
- Saute until sausage is starting to brown and vegetables are tender, ~6 minutes.
- Divide sausage and vegetables between hoagie rolls. Top with cheese.
- Return skillet / wok to heat and add oil (portion for broccoli). Saute broccoli for 2 minutes. Add water and then cover with a lid. Steam broccoli until tender, ~2 minutes more. Add Cajun seasoning and some salt. Saute for 1 minute more. Squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Just before serving, broil sandwiches until cheese is melted and bubbly, 2 to 3 minutes (watch closely to prevent burning).
- Serve sandwiches with broccoli on the side. Enjoy!
This is one of our "go to" meals that we add to the rotation. Delicious and easy!0 Helpful
Good fast meal. Definitely needs the butter/garlic/seasoning on the bread. Made the whole sandwich. Skipped the broccoli0 Helpful
Super easy and the kids loved it. I skipped the bread and served it fajita style. I made it even easier by using canned roasted bell peppers.0 Helpful
Was very filling. Had enough filling for leftovers but not enough bread to make it a sandwich, so just ate that as a bowl meal. And it was every bit as tasty. Would probably make it as a bowl meal or maybe a fajita style to avoid all the extra hoagie roll related calories. Broccoli was fine - not our favorite way to make it.0 Helpful
Delicious! I love the hoagies and I even love the broccoli.0 Helpful
Really delicious - the garlic butter was such a nice touch. I used chicken sausage to lighten this up a bit, and ended up getting rolls that were more like hamburger buns than hoagie rolls because they were way lower in calories.0 Helpful