Cumin-Lime Halibut with Rice
with sugar snap pea and radish salad
- Rice, uncooked white or brown (enough for 2 nights) - 1 1/2 cups
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Cilantro Lime Dressing (ingredients listed separately) - 1 Tbsp
- Halibut fillets - 4 (sub any firm white fish)
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Lime zest - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Sugar Snap Pea and Radish Salad:
- Sugar snap peas - 8 oz (sub snow peas)
- Radishes - 4 , halved and thinly sliced (sub small English cucumbers)
- Salad greens, any type - 8 oz , leaves torn
- Cilantro Lime Dressing (ingredients listed separately) - ~5 Tbsp
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- Cilantro leaves, tightly packed - 1/2 cup
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Rice - (This makes enough for 2 nights.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make cilantro lime dressing - Combine cilantro (if you don’t have an immersion blender, finely chop cilantro first), lime juice, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt, and olive oil. Blend with an immersion blender until nearly smooth. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make cilantro-lime butter - Heat butter in the microwave just until melted. Stir in cilantro lime dressing (portion for fish). Refrigerate until ready to use. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Fish - Rinse fish and pat dry. Score the halibut with a knife by slicing through the skin a few times about 1/4" / .6 cm deep (this will help the fish to cook evenly). Season halibut with cumin, lime zest, and some salt.
- Snap peas / Radishes / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Heat a nonstick pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then halibut to heated oil. Sear fish on one side until golden brown, ~4 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until the fish flakes easily, 2 to 4 minutes.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half for Thursday).
- Toss together snap peas, radishes, and lettuce. Add cilantro-lime dressing (portion for salad) until dressed to your liking.
- Spread cilantro-lime butter over warm fish. Serve fish over rice with salad on the side. Enjoy!