with mashed sweet potatoes / buttered peas
Lentil Patties with Yogurt Sauce:
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Rosemary, fresh - 1 1/2 tsp , finely chopped
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 cup
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Dill, dried - 1/4 tsp (sub dried oregano)
- Lemon zest - 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup , leaves torn
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 1 1/2 cup (look for vacuum-packed or canned)
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Eggs - 1
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs , peeled and chopped into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes
- Heavy cream - 2 Tbsp
- Peas, fresh or frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Sweet potatoes / Garlic / Rosemary - Prep as directed. Store sweet potatoes in one container. Combine garlic and rosemary in another. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make yogurt sauce - Whisk together yogurt, garlic powder, dried dill, and lemon zest. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make lentil patties - Combine cilantro leaves, lentils, panko, garlic, rosemary, olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times, until the mixture is well combined but some whole pieces of lentils remain. Stir in eggs. Form into patties, making 2 / serving. (If the mixture is too wet, add some breadcrumbs; if it is too dry and crumbly, add some oil.) (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Place sweet potatoes into a stock pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until you can easily insert a knife through the potatoes, ~6 to 10 minutes. When sweet potatoes are done, drain and let steam for ~5 minutes so some of the moisture evaporates.
- While potatoes are boiling / steaming, heat a large skillet with cooking oil over medium heat. Cook lentil patties until golden brown on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total.
- Return to sweet potatoes and mash with cream, starting with the amount listed and adding more as needed. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- If using frozen peas, defrost in the microwave. If using fresh peas, place in a microwave-safe bowl and add 2 Tbsp / 30 mL water. Cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave until peas are bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain off water.
- Top peas with butter and season with some salt.
- Serve lentil patties with yogurt sauce on top. Enjoy sweet potatoes and peas on the side.