with mashed sweet potatoes / buttered peas
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Rosemary, fresh - 1 1/2 tsp, finely chopped
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 cup
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Dill, dried - 1/4 tsp (sub dried oregano)
- Lemon zest - 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, leaves torn
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 1 1/2 cup (look for vacuum-packed or canned)
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Eggs - 1
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, peeled and chopped into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes
- Heavy cream - 2 Tbsp
- Peas, fresh or frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Sweet potatoes / Garlic / Rosemary - Prep as directed. Store sweet potatoes in one container. Combine garlic and rosemary in another. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make yogurt sauce - Whisk together yogurt, garlic powder, dried dill, and lemon zest. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make lentil patties - Combine cilantro leaves, lentils, panko, garlic, rosemary, olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times, until the mixture is well combined but some whole pieces of lentils remain. Stir in eggs. Form into patties, making 2 / serving. (If the mixture is too wet, add some breadcrumbs; if it is too dry and crumbly, add some oil.) (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Place sweet potatoes into a stock pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until you can easily insert a knife through the potatoes, ~6 to 10 minutes. When sweet potatoes are done, drain and let steam for ~5 minutes so some of the moisture evaporates.
- While potatoes are boiling / steaming, heat a large skillet with cooking oil over medium heat. Cook lentil patties until golden brown on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total.
- Return to sweet potatoes and mash with cream, starting with the amount listed and adding more as needed. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- If using frozen peas, defrost in the microwave. If using fresh peas, place in a microwave-safe bowl and add 2 Tbsp / 30 mL water. Cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave until peas are bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain off water.
- Top peas with butter and season with some salt.
- Serve lentil patties with yogurt sauce on top. Enjoy sweet potatoes and peas on the side.
The spice rub is amazing0 Helpful
Easy and delicious. My kids love this.0 Helpful
Loved the idea of this but found the patties very dry. The yogurt sauce helped a little. The paleo pork chop was a really big hit, though.0 Helpful
The lentil patties were great! Reminded me of falafel. And adding the cream to the sweet potatoes is a game changer! Delicious.0 Helpful
We used pork chops and the herb blend was nice. Love these simple vegetable sides too0 Helpful