Herb-Crusted Lamb Chops
with mashed sweet potatoes / buttered peas
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Rosemary, fresh - 1 1/2 tsp, finely chopped
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, finely chopped
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Lamb chops, bone-in loin or rib - 4 (sub pork chops or your favorite cut of steak)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, peeled and chopped into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes
- Heavy cream - 2 Tbsp
- Peas, fresh or frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Sweet potatoes / Garlic / Rosemary - Prep as directed. Store sweet potatoes in one container. Combine garlic and rosemary in another. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make herb crust - Finely chop cilantro. Combine cilantro, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lamb - Tenderize with a fork. Gently press herb crust onto both sides of lamb chops.
- Place sweet potatoes into a stock pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until you can easily insert a knife through the potatoes, ~6 to 10 minutes. When sweet potatoes are done, drain and let steam for ~5 minutes so some of the moisture evaporates.
- While potatoes are boiling / steaming, heat a large skillet with oil over medium heat. (Note: Keep an eye on the heat as you cook the lamb chops. You want the chops to brown but the herb crust can burn if too hot, so adjust if needed.) Put the chops in the pan fat-side down and cook until the fat renders and becomes crisp (it’s okay if the chops are touching during this step), 4 to 5 minutes.
- Once the fat on the chops is rendered, lay the chops flat and cook on both sides until deep golden brown (130F / 54C degrees for medium-rare, 140F / 60C for medium, and 150F / 66C degrees for well-done).
- Set lamb aside and cover to keep warm.
- Return to sweet potatoes and mash with cream, starting with the amount listed and adding more as needed. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- If using frozen peas, defrost in the microwave. If using fresh peas, place in a microwave-safe bowl and add 2 Tbsp / 30 mL water. Cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave until peas are bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain off water.
- Top peas with butter and season with some salt.
- Serve lamb chops over sweet potatoes with peas on the side. Enjoy!
The spice rub is amazing0 Helpful
Easy and delicious. My kids love this.0 Helpful
Loved the idea of this but found the patties very dry. The yogurt sauce helped a little. The paleo pork chop was a really big hit, though.0 Helpful
The lentil patties were great! Reminded me of falafel. And adding the cream to the sweet potatoes is a game changer! Delicious.0 Helpful
We used pork chops and the herb blend was nice. Love these simple vegetable sides too0 Helpful