Thai Steak Salad
with mango / pickled onions / cashews
The balance of sweet, sour, savory, and spice can be found in both the ingredients and the dressing in this Thai-inspired salad that we first featured in 2018.
Smarts: Like many salad dressings used throughout Southeast Asia, this one is much thinner than dressings used in Western cooking. It's typical for the dressing to pool a bit in the bottom of the serving bowl - just toss everything together gently as you eat to get more of the flavor.
- Bell peppers, red - 1, thinly sliced
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Vinegar, rice - 1/2 cup
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Steak, sirloin - 1 lb, thinly sliced (sub any cut of steak)
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Mangos - 1, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Red curry paste - 2 tsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Fish sauce - 1 tsp (sub Bragg's / coconut aminos)
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pickle onions - Combine vinegar, water, and sliced onions. (The onions should be mostly covered with liquid, so add some more water if needed. You’ll drain it off before using onions in the salad.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Grate ginger. Combine with aminos, lime juice, honey, fish sauce, and toasted sesame oil. Taste and adjust flavor to your liking. Add more lime juice if you’d like it tarter or honey if you’d like it sweeter. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steak - Thinly slice steak against the grain. Tenderize and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Cilantro / Mangos - Prep as directed. Store separately.
- Drain vinegar off onions. The pickled onions will be sour, so if you’d like them to have a milder flavor, rinse them with cool water.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then curry paste to heated oil. Cook curry paste for 30 seconds (it will start to release flavor). Add steak and saute just until steak is tender and cooked to your liking, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Season steak with some salt and pepper.
- Toss lettuce with bell peppers, onions, cilantro, and mangos. Add half the dressing and toss to combine.
- Top salads with steak and cashews. Add more dressing if you’d like. Enjoy!
Hubs & I both enjoyed-with prep done on weekend was fast great weeknight meal!0 Helpful
Quick, easy, and delicious!0 Helpful
A really good combination. Both the paleo and vegetarian versions were amazing.0 Helpful
Very flavorful! Enjoyed every bite!0 Helpful
Ooooooh yeaaaaahhh0 Helpful
loved the pickled onions and other flavors. Steak had a lot of heat, but I added extra red curry paste which ended up being too much.0 Helpful