Chickpea Soup with Carrots and Kale
with cheese toast
- Carrots - 2, thinly sliced
- Shallots - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Rosemary, fresh - 1 tsp, finely chopped
- Kale - 4 leaves, stems discarded and leaves chopped
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 Tbsp (sub apple cider vinegar)
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bread, any sliced - 4 slices
- Cheese, Fontina, provolone, or Swiss - 4 slices
- Carrots / Shallots / Garlic / Rosemary / Kale - Prep as directed. (Make sure rosemary is very finely chopped to avoid having large pieces in the soup.) Combine shallots, garlic, and rosemary in one container. Store carrots and kale in their own separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lemons - Slice into wedges.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then carrots, tomato paste, and red pepper flakes (if using) with a pinch of salt. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes to get the carrots started cooking.
- Add shallots, garlic, and rosemary and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add vinegar, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in stock and tomatoes (including liquid) and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- While soup simmers, top bread with cheese and toast until cheese is melted. Slice into wedges.
- Return to soup and stir in beans and kale leaves.
- Squeeze some lemon juice from the sliced wedges into the soup and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with extra lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy with cheese toast.
Delicious! Vinaigrette needs less oil though0 Helpful
Easy & Tasty. I cooked the carrots stove top, because I'm not a fan of roasted veggies. Then, I tossed them with a bit of olive oil and maple syrup before plating. LOVE the salad!!!0 Helpful
Whole family liked this, made the chicken & salad, did not do the maple carrots but added shred carrots to salad. Husband liked rosemary breading a lot.0 Helpful
my daughter requested this again the next day and wanted to help me make it0 Helpful
It was perfect --- easy, tasty, well liked by all.0 Helpful
accidentally defrosted thighs instead of breasts, but it was still great. i cooked it at 375 with convection and the breading crisped up nicely.0 Helpful