Spring Vegetable Shakshuka
with eggs / baba ganoush / baby carrots
- Asparagus - 10 spears, trimmed and chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Peas, fresh or frozen - 1/2 cup
- Tomatoes, diced (28 oz / 794 g) - 1 can
- Eggs - 4
- Baby carrots - 8 oz
- Baba ganoush - 6 oz
- Asparagus / Bell peppers / Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers and onions. Store asparagus and garlic in their own separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine cumin, paprika, chili powder, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro leaves.
- Heat up a skillet or saute pan (choose one that has a lid) with oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onions with some salt. Saute for ~8 minutes, until softened.
- Add asparagus, peas, and garlic. Saute for 1 minute more.
- Add diced tomatoes (including liquid) and spice mix. Saute for ~4 minutes to let flavors come together.
- Crack eggs directly into tomatoes. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook for ~5 minutes, or until eggs are done to your liking.
- While eggs cook, set baby carrots and baba ganoush out on a platter.
- Top shakshuka with cilantro and season eggs with some salt and pepper.
- Serve shakshuka with baba ganoush and carrots on the side. Enjoy!
Kid approved !0 Helpful
Delicious! We were impressed with the flavour and even our toddler gobbled it down! Definitely benefits from a good parmesan!0 Helpful
Made with asparagus , didn’t have peas & beans on hand. Everyone like, nice flavor.0 Helpful
I love a fast and easy pasta dish, especially one packed with veggies. Added extra lemon and pepper to punch up the flavor a bit.0 Helpful
I'm a big fan of this dish. I love home-made alfredo sauce and this is a simple way to do it. Asparagus is a great vegetable choice here, although I'm not sure the beans add much.0 Helpful
It was good but kind of bland. Needed more seasoning.0 Helpful