Spring Vegetable Shakshuka
with eggs / baba ganoush / baby carrots
- Asparagus - 10 spears, trimmed and chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Peas, fresh or frozen - 1/2 cup
- Tomatoes, diced (28 oz / 794 g) - 1 can
- Eggs - 4
- Baby carrots - 8 oz
- Baba ganoush - 6 oz
- Asparagus / Bell peppers / Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers and onions. Store asparagus and garlic in their own separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine cumin, paprika, chili powder, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro leaves.
- Heat up a skillet or saute pan (choose one that has a lid) with oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onions with some salt. Saute for ~8 minutes, until softened.
- Add asparagus, peas, and garlic. Saute for 1 minute more.
- Add diced tomatoes (including liquid) and spice mix. Saute for ~4 minutes to let flavors come together.
- Crack eggs directly into tomatoes. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook for ~5 minutes, or until eggs are done to your liking.
- While eggs cook, set baby carrots and baba ganoush out on a platter.
- Top shakshuka with cilantro and season eggs with some salt and pepper.
- Serve shakshuka with baba ganoush and carrots on the side. Enjoy!
really good idea. I left out the beans and added shrimp. I added zucchini I had on hand too. Needs more spices. Lemon juice added a lot.0 Helpful
Very good and you could really mix up the vegetables so I like the flexibility. I would maybe add fresh basil at the end.0 Helpful
Everyone loved this! We added some smoked paprika, onion powder, a bay leaf, and extra pepper to pump up the flavor a bit.0 Helpful
Kid approved !0 Helpful
Delicious! We were impressed with the flavour and even our toddler gobbled it down! Definitely benefits from a good parmesan!0 Helpful