with asparagus / tomatoes / broccoli / white beans
Smarts: Thin strands of angel hair pasta are a great fit for this recipe, but they cook fast. Be sure to check the package for the recommended cook time and watch the pasta closely.
- Broccoli florets - 8 oz, chopped
- Asparagus - 10 spears, trimmed and cut into 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Cheese, parmesan - 4 oz, grated
- Tomatoes, roma - 4, chopped
- Peas, fresh or frozen - 1/2 cup
- Beans, any white (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Pasta, angel hair - 8 oz (sub spaghetti)
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Broccoli / Asparagus / Garlic / Cheese - (If prepping right before cooking, get a Dutch oven of water boiling before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Combine broccoli and asparagus in one container. Store garlic and cheese in their own separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Chop tomatoes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Peas - If using frozen peas, defrost in the microwave. If using fresh peas, place in a microwave-safe bowl and add 2 Tbsp / 30 mL water. Cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave until peas are bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain off water.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Fill a Dutch oven with salted water. Bring to a boil.
- When water is boiling add pasta and cook according to package directions. Add broccoli and asparagus in the last 2 minutes of cooking. (Note: Angel hair cooks in 2 to 4 minutes, so be sure the vegetables are ready to add shortly after the pasta goes in.)
- Drain pasta and vegetables and set aside.
- Return pan to medium heat.
- Add butter and then garlic and tomatoes to melted butter. Saute 2 minutes.
- Add stock and cream and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in parmesan, peas, beans, and pasta with vegetables. Use tongs to toss everything together.
- Squeeze lemon juice over pasta and season with some salt and pepper. Enjoy!
really good idea. I left out the beans and added shrimp. I added zucchini I had on hand too. Needs more spices. Lemon juice added a lot.0 Helpful
Very good and you could really mix up the vegetables so I like the flexibility. I would maybe add fresh basil at the end.0 Helpful
Everyone loved this! We added some smoked paprika, onion powder, a bay leaf, and extra pepper to pump up the flavor a bit.0 Helpful
Kid approved !0 Helpful
Delicious! We were impressed with the flavour and even our toddler gobbled it down! Definitely benefits from a good parmesan!0 Helpful