Vegetable Stromboli with Bell Peppers and Artichokes
with marinara sauce
Vegetable Stromboli with Bell Peppers and Artichokes:
- Pizza dough - 1 lb
- Flour, all-purpose - ~2 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , chopped
- Artichokes, frozen or canned - 6 oz , chopped
- Eggs - 1 , whisked
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Parchment paper - for lining pan
- Marinara with Garlic and Oregano (ingredients listed separately) - 1/4 cup
- Cheese, shredded mozzarella - 6 oz
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz , grated
Marinara with Garlic and Oregano:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Pizza dough - Cover in flour and let rest for at least 30 minutes outside of fridge before rolling out. (Resting dough gives gluten time to chill out, which makes the dough much more pliable.)
- Bell peppers / Artichokes / Garlic - Prep as directed. (If using frozen artichokes, defrost first; if using canned, drain and rinse.) Combine peppers and artichokes. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make marinara - Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add cooking oil (portion for marinara) and garlic to heated oil. Saute for 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and oregano. Add crushed tomatoes, vinegar, and sugar. Simmer for 2 minutes to let flavors come together. Taste and season with some salt or some more sugar if you’d like it a bit sweeter. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil (portion for stromboli) over medium-high heat. Add peppers and artichokes and saute until peppers are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Spread parchment paper out on a sheet pan. (Make sure your parchment paper is approved for cooking at 425F / 218C.)
- Dust a counter with some flour. Roll out pizza dough into an oval shape. Top with sauce (portion for stromboli; reserve remaining sauce), leaving 1” / 2.5 cm of dough uncovered around the edges. Add peppers / artichokes and mozzarella. (Watch this video for assembly steps.)
- Brush edges of dough with some of the whisked egg. Starting at one of the long sides of the dough, roll the dough into a log. Transfer stromboli to the sheet pan and cut slits in the top about 2” / 5 cm apart. Brush top with remaining whisked eggs and grate parmesan cheese over top.
- Bake for 24 to 26 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through (if your dough was thick, it may need a few more minutes to bake).
- When stromboli is done cooking, cut into slices. Serve with extra sauce on the side for dipping. Enjoy!